My eye becomes hidden by excess skin when I smile. Can it be corrected? (Photo)

All my life, my right eye (especially when I smile) becomes sort of "hidden" by excess skin. Is it possible for this to be corrected and if so what is the best treatment? Oh and I'm on the right in both photos in case that isn't obvious! Thank you very much in advance.

Doctor Answers 3

Correction of the right lower eyelid position

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, your right lower eyelid position could be lowered with a tuck in the lower lid retractors. Carefully done, this could give you the symmetry you are looking for. I would recommend minimal skin removal to minimize risk of secondary retraction. In the second photograph, your eyes are in slight upgaze without a big smile (muscles of the face relatively relaxed) - the right lower lid is still noticeably higher than the left.

Another less invasive option is to weaken the protractor of the lid - the orbicularis - with Botox, but this may not work to your satisfaction, and would have to be repeated over the years to maintain any result that you would see. Seek an evaluation with an oculoplastic surgeon who is experienced with the anatomy of the protractors and retractors of the eyelids. Best wishes with your decision.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Asymmetric Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Even when you don't smile, the right eye appears slightly smaller. Without seeing you in person to perform a fully detailed eye exam, it's difficult to diagnose the underlying problem. However, our faces are often asymmetric to begin with. Assuming you have no other eye disease/condition, there are procedures to widen the eyelid or raise the brow and make them as symmetric as possible.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Excess Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your case and photos.  Extra skin can be removed from above the eyes in a procedure called blepharoplasty.  You seems to also have some asymmetry in your brows.  Consider a consultation for a full exam in the office.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.