If one of my ears is much more painful than the other, does this mean my ears are likely to be asymmetrical?

If one of my ears is much more painful than the other during the first weeks recovery with the bandage on, does this mean my ears are likely to be a-symmetric?

After the operation, the ears can differ in the level of pain experienced. That doesn’t have any influence on the question as to whether the result will be asymmetrical.

Germany Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Otoplasty

It is very common to have one side more sore than the other. In Otoplasty, a significant difference in pain should be evaluated by your Plastic Surgeon as it can signal bleeding. In the absence of any problems, you will have to wait and see as the healing and reduction of swelling can be 3-6 months at least. A lot of changes will take place in that time before you can evaluate your final result.

James A. Hoffman, MD
Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon