Drains with textured implants...

Next month will be my first breast augmentation.i live in Europe and it has been suggested by more than one surgeon that I use anatomical implant under the muscle.My doctor does not use drains but insists on a compression bra for 6 weeks.I see on here most American doctors recommend drains with textureds.Can anyone put my mind at rest, assuring me they are in fact not necessary for this procedure! I'm scared it's just a money saving thing on the clinic's part, hopefully I'm being overly nervous!

Drains for breast augmentation

Hi. There is no evidence to show that drains are useful in breast augmentation of any sort, and they may cause problems too. I stopped using drains in augmentation about 10 years back and I use exclusively textured implants. Provided the surgery is well executed, drains are not indicated in my opinion.

South Africa Plastic Surgeon

I never use drains any more for breast implants

Hello, I am in the UK rather than America, but I stopped using drains in my breast augmentations a few years ago. It has nothing to do with cost saving as the drain would be provided by the hospital and has no effect on my fee.

It is surgeon's preference and studies have shown that drains are not necessary, in fact, I have stopped using drains for most of my breast reductions, which is a much more invasive operation than putting implants in.

Don't worry, it is perfectly reasonable for your doctor to not use a drain.  Good luck!

DRAINS

Hi Ruby,

I have been using textured shape anatomic breast implants for 4 years now.  I never use drains.  I have not seen any seromas or implant rotation in the 100+ cases I have done. It my opinion a drain is not necessary.  

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Drains and implants

The reason drains may be used is to minimize the amount of fluid around the implant and allow the textured surface to adhere to the surrounding tissue.  This is important for an anatomic shaped implant to lessen the risk of rotation.  Your surgeon may have good results with compression alone, and you should discuss the rationale with him/her.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Textured Implants and Drains

I typically do not use drains in the setting of routine augmentation. This a simply a matter of surgeon preference. 

However, the rationale for employing drains when using a textured device is function of the anatomic implant and it's textured surface. Due to the fact that these devices are form stable and retain an anatomic (vs. round) shape, they must be placed precisely and in a particular orientation. The texture on these devices allows it to adhere to the surrounding tissue to prevent rotation. The development of fluid around this device may interfere with this adhesion and thus increase the risk for malrotation.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Drains with textured implants

Greetings

Thank you for your question, It my opinion a drain is not necessary the reason drains may be used is to min the amount of fluid around the implant and allow the textured surface to adhere to the surrounding tissue. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon