Do I have a deviated septum? (photos)

I recently went to see a doctor to enquire about breathing difficulties through my nose. The doctor sent me away with nasal spray and told me I did not have a deviated septum. Based on the pictures provided, does it look like I have a deviated septum?

Yes, I believe you do.

Yes, you do have an anterior deflection.  When a surgeon examines the nose using a speculum, as is the usual practice, they see all but the anterior septum. So, it is likely that internally, your septum is straight. It is a wall that goes all the way to the back of the nose (back almost to your throat). The anterior deflection could indeed be causing breathing problems, but it is harder to straighten because it provides essential structural support for your nasal tip, limiting somewhat the options for straightening. I would return to your surgeon and point out what you are demonstrating on the photos.

Is THIS a Septal Deviation?

Yes it is. The front end (caudal edge) of the septum is swinging into your ?right nasal airway. However, to asses just how significant the obstruction of the airway is a complete examination INSIDE the nose is requirede. You are advised to seek the services of either an ENT or Plastic surgeon who is experienced in nose oathology.

Septal deviation

Although it looks like you may have a deviated septum from the pictures, I think it's hard to say for sure without an examination in person.  I would recommend that you see an ENT physician for a thorough evaluation.

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated Septum?

Yes, it looks like the caudal (lower) part of your septum deviates toward the left, and may be contributing to your breathing problems through that nostril.  I recommend you visit with a plastic surgeon or ENT for an evaluation. 

Deviated Septum

It appears from your photo that you have a deviated septum.  See your plastic surgeon or ENT for an in person evaluation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Deviated Septum

Based on the photos it looks like the caudal (bottom) edge of the septum is deviated to the left. In all likelihood it is in fact impairing the breathing on the left side. This is easily repaired with a septoplasty and breathing improvement should be fairly rapid.
Best Regards,
J. Phillip Garcia, M.D.

J. Phillip Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes you do

Thanks for the question

Based on this photo it does appear you have a deviated septum, that is what you are seeing that is poking into your left nostril.  You should meet with an ENT or plastic surgeon experience in rhinoplasty to see what your options are to improve breathing.  

Good Luck

"The above answer been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Hello. Most nasal septi have a degree of deviation, albeit small. Your caudal septum (the part you are showing) is definitely deviated, this may or may not affect your breathing.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD

Deviated nasal septum

It looks that you have deviation of the anterior portion of the septum. This may be in part reason for your airway obstruction. Without detailed clinical exam it is impossible to estimate whether your septum deviation is more extensive that that. You should seek a second opinion by another plastic or ENT surgeon. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon