Day 12. Infected? Is this normal? (Photo)

Is this normal?

Does this look infected at Day 12 after labiaplasty?

Dear JFI,

Your incisions do not look infected.  On the right there looks like a small edge separation that is healing nicely.  If you have concerns, please follow up with your surgeon.  Continue with comfort care and you should be healed in a few more weeks.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

San Antonio OB/GYN

No evidence of infection

It looks like it is healing well and really no signs of infection  It will heal on its own.

John R Miklos  Md

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Trim procedure- See your surgeon

You look like the superficial sutures have come out which is frequently normal at some point but part of the wound has separated a bit. Without examining you I can say you are probably OK, but I would see your surgeon for more specific advice. There might be some change in your wound care regimen. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Day 12. Infected? Is this normal?

Hi,

Thank you for your question and photo.   It appears that you have swelling typical to being 12 days post-op.  There is no evidence, based on the photo only, of infection, although I agree with the previous response that you do have some separation on the incision line on the right.  This is sometimes seen as the sutures that are used begin to dissolve.  The incision will then heal from the inside out.  See your doctor for an evaluation and follow-up as a physical exam is the best way to rule out an infection.  

Hope this helps and best of luck to you! 

Dr. Chung 

Chia Jen Lynn Chung, MD
Puyallup Plastic Surgeon

Not Infected

Just some separation of a trim. It looks like there is baseball stitching technique which is prone to separate and open up. See your doctor for evaluation, but there is nothing to do at this point. Just patience and time. It should heal fine.

You're swollen but not infected

You've had deep sutures placed around the clitoral hood and there is swelling around the stitches. A small crust of normal healing fluids is also present. None of this is abnormal although the stitching technique is not very refined. Things should improve over time.

Day 12. Infected? Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Though I do not see any clear signs of infection, it does appear that one side of your trim labiaplasty has separated.  Your body will need to heal this opening from the inside-out and it would be best to discuss wound care instructions with your surgeon.  Hope this helps.