Why are there so many conflicting variants of dressing applications, that best deal with the healing of breast wounds?

Having read through articles of wound separation, some PS suggest dry dressing without use of topical antibiotic cream (cream can make it worse. Some suggest antibiotic cream then dressing.(cream essential) Then there is wet to dry dressings! All agree on washing and drying area before dressing. Why so many variants in wound care methods for similar wounds? Which one is most suitable and how do you know if it's working or isn't working for you based on PS preferences?

What to put on wound separation

This is a complex question because there are many reasons for wound separation. If the wound is clean then I tell my pts. to simply use Vaseline and a dry dressing on the wound 1-2x/day. If the wound needs some cleaning up then I may recommend saline wet to dry dressings 2-3x/day and then go to Vaseline/dry dressing once the wound has cleans up. Studies show that wounds heal faster Ina moist environment thus the reason that Vaseline ointment works so well. I avoid Neosporin and Bacitracin ointment because the antibiotic component of these ointments can give a red rash if used for any extended period of time. I hope this sheds some light on a confusing topic. Best regards. 

Syracuse Plastic Surgeon

Incision Care

There are many variables such as time that has passed, infection expected, etc. The most important factor is to be examined and treated in person, then follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon until you are healed.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD