Is it common to be able to feel a tip graft 9 months after a rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty in Thailand 9 months ago and a three layered graft was placed into the tip of my nose. The tip feels hard and stiff and I can feel the graft under the skin. I brought up these concerns with my surgeon who says it feels normal and doesn't feel hard. His reaction was almost insulting as I am not lying- I feel he is being stubborn. Is this result common and accepted? What are the alternatives to give tip definition? Is it to do with the way the graft was placed?

Is it cpommon to be able to feel a tip graft?

Thank you for your question.The first thing you need to do is find out from your surgeon in Thailand what kind of graft was placed into the tip of your nose. If you can feel the graft, then it is either your have very thin skin or the graft is large. The next issue is whether you are happy with the shape of your nasal tip. If not, then you will need to discuss this with your surgeon in Thailand. Alternatively, you could ask hm to send you the operation notes and you could then take it to a surgeon over here in the UK and discuss what options you have.

Tip graft

From my experience in seeing patients like yourself, grafts in Thailand tend to be Medpore or Silicone. You need to find out what the graft is made of and then talk to your surgeon. If you have thin nose skin, you will be able to feel the graft. 
You may need to see another plastic surgeon in the UK for advice. 

Rajan Uppal, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Concerns

The best option would be to seek in-person examination from a rhinoplasty specialist to ensure your nose is healing as it should. Obtaining your previous operative note and consulting with a rhinoplasty specialist would be helpful in determining if your diagnosis is indeed correct. If it is in fact a piece of cartilage or cartilage graft that has shifted over time, then a removing it through a closed approach would not result in a significant amount of downtime.
Sometimes sharp contour irregularities can result from twisted or deviated cartilage, and if that is the case you may require a more extensive revision to achieve a nice result.

Donald B. Yoo, MD