Come down with cold and sore throat and am having pre op Friday and Tummy tuck Monday. Will my surgery still go ahead?

Will my surgery still go ahead, have read it will be postponed until cold has gone, has this happened to anyone?

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. Just start taking medication right away and hope that you will feel a bit better on friday. There are still enough to recover from a cold. Best of luck

Sore throat before a tummy tuck

It is difficult to guarantee a reliable evaluation of your concern without an in-person exam. If your symptoms are severe, they may complicate the recovery process after a tummy tuck.  Doctors usually recommend patients to be in optimal health condition to reduce the risk of complications during surgery. Remember that a tummy tuck is an elective surgery, which means you can always postpone it until you reach your optimal level of health.An in-person examination with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain an individualized medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tell your surgeon

For your safety, please inform your surgeon about your condition as soon as possible. Some surgeons may choose to postpone surgery if there is an active infection or other sickness, as it could increase surgical risks. 

Cold and sore throat

in my opinion if you still have a cold and a sore throat on the preop day then your surgery should be postponed. There is plenty to recover from without dealing with a cold and an inflamed throat that will be worsened by intubation. Remember it's elective surgery. Why worsen the recovery?

Please talk to your board certified plastic surgeon

Leon Goldstein, MD
Madison Plastic Surgeon