How is Clitoropexy actually performed?

If these surgeons could answer my question I would be so happy. I know Dr Alter invented the clitoropexy technique and performs many and I know Dr Aguirre performs these too. My question is how clitoropexy actually performed? Do the sutures actually go through the actual clitoris itself? I'm concerned about scarring and nerve/sensation damage but really need this procedure. Thanks so much!

Clitoral Hood Reduction

Thank you for your time. Each office coins their own term. The Reduction of Excess Prepuce is removing excess skin along the side of the clitoris. 

Laser Reduction Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora with Reduction of Excess Prepuce (LRL) is the second most common Female Genital Cosmetic Surgery procedure. LRL is a popular procedure for women wishing to reduce the appearance of the large or protruding labia minora. Most women who have a LRL have the excess prepuce reduced to enhance the overall aesthetics thus providing a more youthful look.

First a pudendal block is given to provide 18-24 hours post operative pain control anesthesia. Then a proprietary Designer Laser Vaginoplasty® technique is used to perform the LRL with reduction of excess prepuce. A surgical marker is used to appropriately mark the labia minora. Special sutures are then placed. A special laser that is delicate on the tissue is used to perform the LRL. Once this is completed, skin staples are placed on the edges of the labia to line it up. The edges are then closed with absorbable suture and the staples are removed. Attention is then turned to the prepuce where a proprietary technique is used to remove just the right amount of prepuce. Very fine absorbable sutures are use to close this area. Upon completion of the LRL you are transferred to the recovery room. The recovery period is usually 1 to 2 hours and then you are released into the custody of an adult and you can go home.

Clitoropexy

Thank you for your question.  For clarification for all readers, clitoropexy was established prior to Dr. Alter's description.  The operation is used in children with an enlarged clitoris and it has been adapted for adults.  I am aware of this because I am both a reconstructive pediatric urologist and adult cosmetic urologist.

The technique used is based on the individual preference of the surgeon, which reflects where the stitches are placed and the outcomes.  I would recommend a consultation with an experienced cosmetic surgeon to evaluate your condition even if this requires traveling.  The surgeon should then describe to you exactly how he/she would perform the surgery after discussing with you the treatment options.

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist