Are cheek implants a good option for lost volume in the cheeks? How much would each cost? I am 49.

I had an infection 2015 and lost volume in the cheeks looked like malar mounds so had dermal fillers for the first time in July 2015, 3 syringes Juvaderm Voluma, had same again this year, April 2016. I work out is going to cost me about £1000 every 9 months forever to keep it up so I am researching implants instead. I have always looked young for my age, 35 instead if 48 and dermal fillers restore this. I'd consider fat transfer yet might not last much longer than fillers and is more expensive.

Are cheek implants a good option for lost volume in the cheeks?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.

Cheek Augmentation with Implants

Thank you for your question. If you are satisfied with the results you achieved with 3 syringes and you are willing to have a more permanent result, i would definitely advise to inquire about implants. Find a surgeon you are comfortable with and that has experience with cheek augmentation. Best of luck.

Cheek Implant Augmentation

When you look at that financial commitment over time, cheek implants would be a better long-term solution. With fillers you have proven that an augmentation effect produces a positive aesthetic improvement.

Are Implants a Good Option to Replace Lost Cheek Volume

I've had many patients nervous about the results after implant placement have temporary fillers injected first and then later choose to have implant placement done for a permanent correction. While fat injections typically provide a much longer result than fillers I suggest you option for implants which are placed through an incision inside the mouth.

Cheek implants versus fat injections

jenzenjen, I would strongly recommend implants over fat injections. Much more predictable, adjustable and is reliable over time. See an experienced surgeon that specializes in "only faces" and has great photos. Good luck and see the video!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants for volume loss.

having done this surgery for more than 35 years I would suggest a better result with cheek implants than fat. Fat can be irregular quite often and with absorption you may not get what you want. Silicone cheek implants will give you an exact amount of volume replacement with the only downside a rare infection of the implants.  See a very experienced chic implant surgeon who can show you natural and not over done results.