What do you think my breasts will look like if I explant? (photos)

Had 450cc high profile silicone over the mucle for 1 year. Hoping to explant in about 3 months time. Very flat 32A before, now a 32DD. I want them removed completely. Considering the short amount of time they will have been in for, and I have had no children and am young (21 years old), what do you think my skin will look like? Will they sag because they have been stretched so much? Or do you think I will go back to being pretty much flat chested again? Don't want to replace them with smaller ones.

Explant Expectations

Good afternoon!

My approach to this would be to perform a complete capsulectomy, to remove the capsule surrounding your implants, at the same time we remove your implants. I would then place a drain in each pocket for about five days to make sure no fluid accumulates, and then I would have you wear a nice tight compression bra 24/7 for 12 weeks.

You won't need a lift, because the breast has an amazing ability to "shrink back down" but the keys are the removal of the capsules and the compression. I expect that you will look exactly like you did in the preop photo as long as the explantation is performed properly.

I have attached a link to my Breast Augmentation Revision Photo Gallery for your review- hope it helps!

$#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - What will my breasts will look like?

Good question.

On the one hand, since you're young your skin has - in general - a better likelihood of returning to your pre-operative appearance than would be the case for an older woman.  But there are many different factors that need to be taken into consideration and there is no way to predict what you'll look like.  This should of course be a part of the discussions you have with your plastic surgeons in person; only so much can be discussed via this forum.

But you need to be prepared for all of the possibilities.  If your skin shrinks down well enough and you're happy, that would be great.  But what if it doesn't?  Are you open to a lift, to smaller implants, etc?  If not you need to reconsider removing these, because those are among the options you'll need to consider once you have these removed.

I'm sorry for any distress you're having.  This is an important time to consider as many options as possible before you undergo another surgery, and that should be done in consultation with your surgeon(s).

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Large implants being removed.

It looks as though you had a nice, but rather large, result from your breast implant procedure. I can understand your desire to go smaller, but I do not think you will be happy if you do not replace them. Overly large implants cause problems with extra weight and extra tissue stretch out. You will probably need a lift. It is hard to predict. An in person consultation with an experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon will give you the best options.

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Post explant appearance

Your skin will most likely be loose and somewhat saggy after the implants are removed.  Youth is definitely an advantage since your skin most likely has good elasticity.  Many ladies are impressed by how much their skin does contract after removal, but you need to be patient.  It will take several months before you will see your final result.

Camille Cash, MD

Discuss options before removing

I believe that any plastic surgeon feels sorry to hear that a lady who had breast augmentation wants to return as before. I think that first of all you might discuss with a plastic surgeon the reasons for which you want to remove them and the result that you might obtain if you do some other type of corrective surgery.
Anyway, if you decide to remove them and do nothing else, I would tell you that nobody can know how the skin of your breast will behave. Usually, young women have a good elasticity and the skin returns back to normal. This does not happen in all the cases and we cannot predict what will happen. So you have to remove the implants, leave them for a few months and after you see the final result you decide if you want to do something more or not. A removal of the implants is a small procedure which can be done in ambulatory basis.

Will my breast go back to pre-augmentation appearance after removal of 450cc implants?

Thank you for your question and photos. It is very likely you will have excessive skin and sagging of your breasts. There are a couple of ways to know what is realistic to expect. One is to remove the implants and give yourself at least 6 months to see how your body adapts to the change. The other is to have an exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Since you have fairly large implants, your skin has been stretched. You are young and have not had children, so your overall elasticity should be good. However, don't expect your breasts to look like they did prior to surgery. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and give you a better idea of what you may expect.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal and pictures

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that,once it is determined that the patient is happy without the implants. I recommend simply removing the implants. This can be done in the office and at a reasonable expense. If they shape is something that requires adjustments then the degree of adjustment and results can be discussed before surgery.

Your should return pretty close to your natural anatomy.

Below is a link to learn more about implant removal with picture examples.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

What do you think my breasts will look like if I explant?

I'm sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction after breast augmentation surgery. As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you precise advice or predictions...Your youth and good quality skin elasticity are certainly favorable. Some general thoughts may be helpful to you.
Generally speaking,what breasts look like after removal or down sizing of breast implants will depend on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as weight gain / weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Ultimately, if you choose to have breast implants removed  will be a very personal decision that should be made after careful consideration. Hopefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to help you with this potentially difficult decision .
You may find the attached link helpful to you.