Breastfeeding after breast reduction - reduction of implants from previous surgery? (Photos)

I am hoping someone can tell me if it would be possible to have my previously augmented breasts (over the muscle from B to E cup) made smaller (with implants under the muscle) whilst retaining the ability to breastfeed. After having my first child I have gone to a whopping 36F-G cup and am struggling with a bad back and finding bras that fit. Willing to travel for right surgeon.

Breast feeding after breast reduction

Breast feeding after breast reduction is always difficult to predict.  The larger the reduction is, then the higher likelihood that you will lose this ability.  You have to weigh up the risk of being unable to breast feed vs your own comfort/discomfort.  One option may be to have your implants removed now, complete your family then consider having breast reduction surgery once you have finished having children.  Make an appointment & discuss your concerns with a Plastic Surgeon.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding after breast reduction - reduction of implants from previous surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Loss or change of ability to breast-feed is a potential risk with any type of breast; this risk increases for patients who undergo breast reduction surgery, compared to breast augmentation or lifting surgery.   Having said that, there are specific “techniques” that can be utilized to increase chances that you will be able to breast-feed successfully.

Best to choose your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your desired goals (of breast-feeding in the future) clearly as well. Ultimately, you will need to weigh the potential risks/complications ( and pros/cons) associated with breast reduction carefully. Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural look” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to downsizing breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps.  You will find a separately, on the same website, dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.