When am I able to get my breasts measured and wear an underwired bra? (Photo)

I am now 5 weeks and 1 day post op. I was wondering when am I able to get my breasts measured and start to wear an underwire bra? All feels good apart from a little ache in the morning but I am able to do everything now with no pain. I got 400cc allergen mentor sailicone under the muscle and under the crease incisions. Thank you in advance

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

When am I able to get my breasts measured and wear an underwired bra?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific postoperative care instructions.

Generally speaking, there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Underwire Bra

Your surgeon is the best one to answer your question.  He should monitor your healing.  Usually any type of bra can be worn at 9 to 12 weeks post op.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Recovery after breast surgery

I recommend speaking to your surgeon, as each of us has slightly different recommendations after surgery.  I tell my patients to expect changes after breast surgery for up several months, but in most cases the changes are minor after about 2 months.  I also tell my patients to avoid underwire bras for at least 3 months, and many surgeons recommend longer.