Is breast lift and augmentation with ultra high profile implants right for me? (Photo)

I'm a 29 yo mum of 3 - 4ft 10", 7st 5lb. I'm booked in next week for a BL & BA with Mentor ultra high profile 350cc implants. My breasts are slightly different shapes & starting to sag with not much fullness up top. I'm just wondering if this sounds like the correct operation/implant type & size for me? Slightly worried because my breast width is 12.3cm but my implants are only 10.3cm? But to get the projection I wanted, I was recommended UHP. Does a breast lift decrease your breast width?

Lift and Augmentation with Ultra High Profile Implants?

Based on your photos it appears that you would be a good candidate for a combination of lift plus implant. Some breast lifts will decrease the breast width, but not all do. A circumareolar or donut (Benelli) lift will not narrow your breast, it actually flattens the breast - perhaps this is why the UHP implant is being recommended. If so, I would consider this a poor choice of procedures. Too often the donut lift is used to avoid the scars associated with other types of lifts but it has limited application and can result in an attractively shaped breast with a stretched areola and widened scars. 

Other types of lifts such as a vertical or lollipop type lift actually increase breast projection and will also narrow your breast. Based on your photos it appears that this would be a more appropriate type of lift for your circumstances. You appear to have a fair amount of breast tissue as well, so I really do not understand the rationale for an UHP implant. A lower profile, thus wider implant will also give you more fullness higher up your chest wall. You should discuss this further with your surgeon.

It is also important to remember that the combination of simultaneous lift plus implant is a quite complicated operation in which the components work against one another. For that reason it is associated with a very high revision rate, so you need to make sure your surgeon has a great deal of experience in doing this operation. 

Intended Results of Lit with Implants - Choose Your Type of Implants for Final Results

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast swithout reducing their size. It is used for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy. This is called an #Augmentation/Mastopexy.  The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. 

#FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast. 

A hybrid operation may use both an implant and fat to provide the best contours of the lifted breast.

I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Implants with no lift is usually a mistake. Most breasts will look larger and droopier.  They will sag more and sooner because of the excess weight.  The shape will usually not be satisfactory. There will sometimes be a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble.

If the nipples are in a fairly high position on the breast or “glandular” ptosis or drooping, an implant may be useful.

Breast lift and implants candidate

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 550ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Is breast lift and augmentation with ultra high profile implants right for me?

Generally speaking, patients undergoing the breast augmentation/lifting combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with will a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery.

Remember, that during breast lifting surgery, some skin is removed, thereby limiting the "space" available for breast implants. On the one hand, breast augmentation surgery is expanding the breast skin “envelope” while breast lifting is (by definition) tightening up the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant shape

Choosing the right shape and size implants for you is really dependent upon the exam in person and your goals of surgery.

Breast lift and augmentation

Thank you for your questions.  You appear to be an excellent candidate for a lift with augmentation.  An implant is typically approximately 1 cm narrower than your measured breast width.  So, in your case, your implant should be approximately 11.3 cm in width.  The profile will depend on the volume/size you desire.  Your natural breast volume will provide additional projection on top of your implant so it is the combination of the implant and your breast tissue that will dictate your final projection.  I would choose an implant with an appropriate width over a certain projection.  Hope that makes sense and helps.  For more information, an in-person consultation would be required.  Best wishes!  

Breast lift with implants

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, the best shape and contour could be achieved with an implant and a breast lift.  A breast lift with an implant can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD