Breast implant removal to have it done before I have my next child or wait until after I have had another child?

Don't know if it will make much difference if I was to have it done before or after my next child?

Implant removal timing

The decision of when to have your implants removed is a personal one and it can be done at any time.  Deciding on having them out before or after a future child is up to you since there is no benefit or contraindication either way from a surgical standpoint.

When to have my implants removed

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• It truly depends on why you want your implants removed.
  • If they have deflated or are damaged, they should be removed.
  • If you just don't want them, then it makes sense to have them removed now.
  • that way the weight of the implants won't stretch your breasts any more than they have already.
  • A small lift is usually a good idea at the time of implant removal to restore your breast shape.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant removal

Removing your implants can be done at almost any time. It is a personal decision when mohave them removed.

Although best to individualize recommendations after in-depth consultation,  it is generally best to wait on undergoing breast surgery, if you are planning additional pregnancies in the near future.  Waiting may help minimize the total number of breast operations you undergo.   For example, if you experienced breast "sagging" after completion of pregnancies, breast implant removal and breast lifting surgery can be done at the same time.  Best wishes. 

Implant removal

To answer your question succinctly, no it will not matter greatly if you have your implants removed before or after your next child.  You may have the best idea of how much breast tissue you will have after implant removal if you wait until after you have your next child, especially if you plan to breast feed.  Otherwise functionally there will be very little difference.  Happy holidays!

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician