Want a breast augmentation to become a natural big B or small C. My surgeon suggested 200cc or 250cc?

I am in the process of booking breast augmentation surgery. I am petite, 5'3, 7 and half stone and currently wear a 32A. I want a breast augmentation to become a natural big B or small C. My surgeon suggested 200cc or 250cc round in front of the muscle but I would like to hear others opinions.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Getting the right breast implant size

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want and not overly focus on a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  It is impossible to give you a precise answer without a face-to-face exam but my recommendation would be twofold.  First, I would recommend placing the implants under your pectoral muscle (subpectoral) and second I would recommend that you allow your plastic surgeon to best match your size and contour goals during the surgery by selecting the best implant based on the appearance of test implants or "sizers."  For some patients with very limited skin and skin and breast distensability an implant in that size range is all that can be placed while maintaining a natural appearance. For others a slightly larger implant may do the job.  Please watch the video linked to above for additional information that you may find useful and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Hard to answer this question without an in person exam and specific breast measurements. Remember that there is no direct correlation between implant size (cc's) and cup size. Best option is to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Sizers will only give you a rough estimate. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the ideal implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Given that you are thin, you would probably do well with a submuscular breast augmentation so you have more "padding" on top of the implant. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. Good luck!!

Breast augmentation

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a few other board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination and take measurements and recommend the best implant type/sizes for your body. It doesn’t hurt to get multiple opinions. There are 3D simulators that can show you what you would look like with different types of implants and different sizes, this can be helpful when trying to decide what size would achieve your cosmetic goals. At my office, I use high profile Sientra silicone implants to create a round full result that looks natural, giving you the result that you want. Additionally, i use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Implant volume for Breast augmentation

To be honest, you should not be looking for advise on volume of implants on line. The volume of implants needed can vary from patient to patient and you really need to be examined in person to determine what would suit you best. When choosing an implant, the surgeon is guided by what the patient desires. It is then essential for the surgeon to examine you, take some measurements and recommend what would suit your body. You breast base diameter determines what size implant you can have and how big you can go, and yet look natural. Although, various morphing softwares can help give you an idea of what your augmented breasts might look like, it is important for you to try sizers in garments to help you get a 'real' 3D feel and also give you an idea as to what it would feel like to carry that extra weight. 

Your breasts will have a naturally augmented look if you select the right implant. A natural aesthetic breast tends to have a gentle slope in the upper part, peaking at the nipple and a rounded lower part of the breast. This can be achieved by using a natural shaped or anatomical shaped or tear drop shaped implant. These are implants that taper towards the top (towards your collar bone, on your chest) and are fuller at the bottom (towards your abdomen), giving the breast a more natural shape. A large implant can result in a rounded appearance in the upper pole, rather than a gentle slope. But if this is what you desire, then this is what you may need to go for.

Breast Implant Size

Hi Sophie-

It's not possible to tell what size implant is best for you based on the information you provided. It's best for you to visit a plastic surgeon for a complete exam. Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

250 CC

Hello. Thank your for your question in regard breast augmentation.

It is important when considering a breast augmentation to have a clear communication with your plastic surgeon in regarding your goals.  There is a combination of methods that use as surgeons tried to which desired look.  Some of these methods include plead examination, breast diameter measurements and nipple to inframammary fold measurements, the dimensional computer systems and implant sizers.

Your PS should have discussed the pros and cons of the different implants. There are many sizes that would look great on you and you should work closely with your PS to find the ideal size.

In your specific case I WOULD FAVOR a dual plane method. It is obvious based on this forum that plastic surgeons will have different answers for you. It is important that you discuss the pros and cons with your plastic surgeon to determine the best position.

The incisions of the Dual Plane breast augmentation surgery include:

Decrease Risk of Capsular Contracture- due to the submuscular position of the implants

More natural appearance

Once small, inconspicuous exterior incision

More natural movement as you walk.

We can't give specific guidance on implant size over the internet

Hello Sophie,  It is great that you are doing your research and trying to make sure that you get the best advice, but you will see from the other surgeon's comments, that we cannot really advise you about the size of implant.  There are many factors to getting a good result and the size of the implant is only one of them.  I understand that many people have cup size goals, but it is very difficult to predict the final cup size as it is not a precise science.  

The best advice is to find a surgeon that you can trust and look for good before and after photographs and evidence of previous happy patients.  You can find a list of fully qualified plastic surgeons on the BAPRAS and BAAPS websites and look for FRCS(Plast) after his or her name.

Good luck and sorry that we can't give you more specific guidance on here.

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question. Despite your good description of body type and goals, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging)  as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Make sure you carefully consider,  the short and long-term pros/cons associated with breast augmentation done in the sub muscular versus sub glandular position. You will find a lot of information regarding this topic on this website.

I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes). The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position. 

On the other hand,  sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle)  they can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, 

I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "big B, small C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.