Breast augmentation. I'm in split mind. Any suggestions?

I've been for my consultation and I was very happy with everything, my surgeon, the procedure and the size. I've booked in for September 2016 to have my surgery done. I'm very very excited on the thought of having new twins! But on the other hand I feel nervous in case I develop a risk! I keep thinking what will happen if my body won't allow implants and I end up with nothing...what if the implants make me ill. The risks is just killing my excitement on getting breast enlargement done.

Breast Augmentation - Pre-Op Concerns

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is a safe procedure and has not been associated with systemic illness or implant rejection. Please have a thorough discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon regarding the true risks and benefits of your upcoming procedure. Hope this helps and good luck.

Risks of breast augmentation

First, you must be comfortable with proceeding.  However, make certain you have accurate facts.  Individuals to not reject implants.   They are inert, and your body will not reject them.  Furthermore, there is no scientific evidence that breast implants cause any systemic illness.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

The "risks" you are describing give the impression your surgeon has not adequately discussed the true risks and benefits of the procedure with you. We have many studies that show implants don't make people sick and the body not allowing implants is not a described risk either. You should probably sit down with your surgeon again to review the actual potential complications of the procedure and have your concerns addressed. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Breast augmentation; getting ready for surgery

A patient recently called to say that she is very excited about her upcoming surgery. We discussed her concerns and again reviewed her options for surgery. She was looking for a fuller chest so that she can feel more comfortable in clothes.
We again reviewed that while all surgery has some inherent risks, these are maximally minimized and that should any complications arise that we would be there to guide her through and help her achieve the optimal results possible in the safest manner possible.
She thanked me and now at 2 months post op, she is very happily enjoying her new figure and enjoying purchasing new outfits that flatter her body in the way that she has always wanted.

Nervous before Breast Augmentation

It is very common to think twice about an elective procedure....especially after signing informed consents that list risks and complications. Complications can occur but are rare overall in cosmetic elective surgeries or they would not be performed if associated with many routine serious complications. Most complications listed in Breast augmentations is less than 1 % in general with the exception of capsular contracture over years of time that is around 5 %.

Call your Doctors office to ask of your particular concerns.

David Liland, MD

PreSurgery Worries

Congratulations on setting a date for yourself! With any surgery you're running the risk of complication so it's always in your best interest to discuss any questions or hesitation or concerns you may have leading up to the procedure.  It's better ask more questions than not enough and leave yourself in worry. Congratulations again and best of luck!

Satisfying Results May be Greater with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation. The suitability of a breast #augmentation procedure and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation.

Your breast surgery should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast augmentation and the incision type, implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your #BreastAugmentation. Aside from checking #board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

The Worry of Surgery

Thanks for your question and best wishes on your upcoming procedure.  In healthy patients, breast augmentation surgery is very safe and complications tend to run on the low side.  However, it is very important to spend some time with your surgeon discussing what concerns you have before you move forward with surgery.  Your surgeon should be able to specifically discuss the risks including:

- Hematoma or serum
- Scarring
- Unsatisfactory results (displacement of implant, size too small or too large)
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Capsular contracture
- Infection
- Bleeding 
- Allergic reaction

Wishing you all the best!

Cheers,
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon