Will my right breast which appears/projects higher, become more symmetrical to the left breast? Breast Augmentation (Photo)

I was a 32B prior and had 300cc underpectoral, highprofile implants 2weeks ago. I am concerns about my right breast which appears to be higher and not as close to the middle of my chest as the left. It feels harder/not as malleable as the left which makes me think that the pocket has been made smaller. I appreciate asymetry and that my left was slightly larger pre-op but can see quite a difference in the nipple and crease alignment post-op. Also it feels uncomfortable, like a lead-filled balloon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Asymmetry after Breast Implants

Looking at your pictures, I understand what you are seeing.  Be patient.  It takes at least 3 months if not more before your final result. The breast implants "settle" or "drop" at different rates after surgery.  One may drop or soften before the other.  But both should even out after a few months as long as the pocket created was similar.  If you have questions, make sure to follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast surgery.  

Keep in mind that no one will replace your own plastic surgeon when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.