Brazilian butt lift - travel from UK to the States - stay for two weeks?

Honest opinions please...Travel from Uk to the States for a bbl, to stay a maximum of 14 days - is this enough time for healing and after care before sitting for a long haul flight from 10 to 13 hours? Many thanks!

Traveling after BBL

As long as you stand up every 2 hours and release the pressure form your buttocks , you should have no problems. Be aware of following all other medical instructions provided by your surgeon. 

best wishes 

BBL and long flights

Very interesting question: from the technical point of view a graft "take" happens within two weeks.

Nevertheless I usually invite my patients to follow very specific sitting protocols with the aim to "adapt" the new tissue to pressure for six weeks.

I would recommend to discuss this into detail with your surgeon well in advance before traveling to US.

I wish you the best of luck,

Stefano Cotrufo, MD, PhD
London Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks is probably a reasonable amount of time to stay.  Different surgeons have different protocols for surgeries and recovery.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about their post-operative instructions, as each surgeon has slightly different  protocols. I recommend to my patients that they do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must go back fly before 3 weeks post op, I definitely do recommend the BBL pillow and getting up every 10-15 minutes to walk around until you are at least three weeks post op. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Travel From UK to US for Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)

The U.K. has many good plastic surgeons, some of which perform BBL. My advice to you is to have your surgery performed by a plastic surgeon in your area. This will make your aftercare and follow-up that much easier for you. You also have to think long-term, not just in terms of the actual procedure. If there is a complication, are you able to get on the plane and get to United States ASAP?  What if there is a complication that precludes you from flying? And you are correct to be concerned about the long flight. I don't allow any of my patients to put any pressure on the buttocks for a minimum of six weeks after BBL to get the best projection and to avoid killing the fragile fat that has been placed into the buttocks.  Furthermore, and more importantly, the risk of blood clots and pulmonary embolism is highest within the month after your surgery. A pulmonary embolism is usually deadly! Long-distance travel only increases this risk. Having BBL or any other procedure a significant distance from your home is not an ideal situation. Choose a good local surgeon. Best of luck. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician