What type of post-surgery bra will I need after surgery?

I need to know what bras people recommend for wearing after breast augmentation. The post surgery bra I have been put in is so uncomfortable and I need something more comfortable to wear? Many thanks

Bra is very doctor/patient specific

This is a very doctor-specific question.  You should ask  your plastic surgeon what post operative garment they recommend.  I typically do not have any requirements for my patients except for 1) comfort and 2) no underwire if the incision is in the breast fold.   This means, I don't mind if the patients choose to not wear a bra at all post operatively, but many patients feel more comfortable with compression and coverage.

The bottom line is, I think you should ask your doctor what they feel is best given your plan, size, and incision pattern.  Some doctors wrap their patients up with bandages and wraps, some place a surgical bra, and some recommend a regular bra from the store.  It just depends on your own surgeon's preferences.

Hope that helps.

Christopher C. Chang, MD

Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia

What type of bra?

If your current post op bra is uncomfortable I'd double check with your surgeon or his nursing staff and see what their recommendation is. You may want to look for a compression bra that hooks in the front. This is the type of bra I use in my practice and patients find them comfortable post op. Good luck!

What #bra to use after #breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery

Hi Haley, Thank you for your question about post surgical garments after breast augmentation surgery.  In my practice all breast augmentation patients are fitted for a custom cut compression garment.  The more experienced I am in breast augmentation the more confident I am that the compression garment makes a significant difference in post operative healing and swelling. All our breast surgery patients awake from surgery with the garment already on.  The garment we use is almost like a backwards sports bra that has eyes and hooks in the front and on the shoulder straps. Look for a consultation with a board certified aesthetic plastic surgeon who is also a member of the ASPS and ASAPS and let he or she be your guide. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the best. Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Bra after Breast Augmentation

We have our patients wear a sports bra, no underwire, that hooks or zips up in the front that they are placed into 1 day post-op. 

Generally speaking, there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras.  Best to speak with your surgeon regarding your concerns about your bra.

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Surgeons vary in their recommendations

Ask your surgeon but most will recommend a sports bra (no underwire).  Many offices will provide the recommended bra at the time of surgery or shortly after as well.