How many months after a first breast augmentation can you get a second one (for bigger implants)?

Bigger implants

It is advisable to wait for 3-6 months before having another surgery to allow your body to heal and your implants to soften.

London Plastic Surgeon

Wait as long as you can before changing implants

Hello Amanda,It depends on the reason for the exchange.  Is it a planned exchange, ie are you planning to get big implants and then exchange them for bigger implants in order to stretch the skin?  This is not something that I would recommend.If you already have implants and you feel that they are too small.  I would advise that you wait as long as you can before exchanging them.  It is a very emotional time and you need time to live with your new body shape before diving in to another operation.  You should wait at least 3 months to allow the scar tissue to soften but ideally longer if you can.  Good luck with this.

Breast implant exchange

Thank you for the question. In general, I recommend waiting 3 months to have the capsule fully developed prior to exchange for a larger size.  This is particularly true for downsizing, however, may be done sooner for upsizing.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Revision

Patients that wish to go larger usually do that in stages.  This allows time for the skin to stretch.  Wait at least 6 months to allow time for a good result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Thank you for your question.  Although you may feel a compulsion to get bigger implants fresh after your surgery, give yourself at least 3 months for things to settle down before you get a better idea about your appearance.  You can always consider revision after that.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Bigger implants

I would wait at least 6 months and ideally 1 year to get any revisions after breast surgery. This is when the healing process has fully taken effect after your first surgery.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon