Still big! Is this the final result? (photos)

I had open rhinoplasty done 3 months ago, and I'm really not happy with it. It still remains big I feel there has been no change. 

You May Want Revision Surgery If This Isn't Swelling

I would agree that your nose still looks large on profile. In part, the size appears larger due to your recessive chin. The nose has a nice shape, and undoubtedly the nasal tip swelling will go down somewhat, but I think it is likely that your nose will always be over-projecting (extending too far out from your face). Revisional surgery to set the nose back cannot really be safely done for a full year after the first procedure. Hopefully as the swelling continues to resolve, your satisfaction will increase -- but if not, revisional surgery will be necessary. I would discuss this with your surgeon. Best wishes.

3 month result

Hi.  I tend to agree, that your nose does still appear to be out of proportion.  It has certainly been reduced from the pre-op photo & may continue to refine over the next 9 months.  But it is possible that it will still remain larger than you wish & that you are unhappy with it.  I would return back to your surgeon & express your concerns, or else seek out another opinion for an in person assessment.  I wouldn't rush into any surgeon in the near future until everything is completely settled down.  All the best

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Still big! Is this the final result?

Dear Reader,

Rhinoplasty swelling can take up to a full year and to see the final result.  At that time, if you are still not satisfied with the result, then you could have revision surgery to refine the tip. 

A chin augmentation can also align your profile to create a pretty balance and symmetry of your features.  Patience is the key right now.

Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You may undergo a revision to further reduce your tip prominence bit in general it would be best to wait.  Sometimes even a full year is necessary to get an idea of your final result and need for a revision. 

Rhinoplasty healing

Great question.  Although a lot of the swelling has likely gone away some undoubtedly remains.  As the remaining swelling goes away you will see additional changes.  This may result in the overall nose shape improving enough that you will be happy.  If at that time you still think your nose is "too big" you may want to discuss either a revision rhinoplasty and/or a chin implant/genioplasty.  The chin implant is relative because a smaller chin will give the illusion of a nose that is too big.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Big nose.

Hello.  It's understandable to be concerned if you feel your nose isn't looking like the way you want it to after surgery.  Bear in mind, that it take many months for a nose to heal and settle down.  In particular, if tip work was done, the healing will take up to a year before final results can be determined.  Nevertheless, most patients should see the signs of new appearance between 2 and 4 months.  In my opinion, you are still in that window.  The best thing is to maintain close follow up with your surgeon so that you can discuss your concerns with him/her.  Take care.

Kenneth Yu, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon