Will I benefit from lipo under my jaw/chin? (photo)

I know it won't make a huge difference but will it make a difference at all? I know I have a weak jaw and chin but sliding genioplasty and a chin implant isn't something I want. I've seen morphs of myself with a stronger chin and I looked awful. I did however look better when the under of my jaw was more defined. Advice would be much appreciated. If there are other nonsurgical options I would love to hear about them. :)

Liposuction, Kybella, or Cool Mini

Thank you for your question and for sharing a photo. You do seem to be a good candidate for liposuction of the submental area. This procedure will remove the stubborn pocket of fat from beneath your chin. If you are interested in non-surgical options, you might consider Kybella. This is a series of injections that kills the fat and then you lymphatic systems removes it. There is some swelling after injection and you would need a couple of treatments. You might also consider CoolMini. This device freezes the fat in this area. After about a month, the frozen fat is removed by your lymphatic system. The CoolMini does not work for every case though. Whichever way you decide, you'll need to make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon and have in person consultation for precise recommendations. 

Weak chin

Thanks for your question, Undlu.  As you have noticed, your chin projection is deficient, and as my colleagues have pointed out, that can affect facial balance and harmony.  I understand your reluctance to considering a genioplasty or an implant, but another possibility is the injection of some of the longer lasting facial fillers, such as radiesse.  Injection over the chin can improve projection, and this can be performed in the office setting without any real downtime.  As for liposuction, I do think you would benefit, but not so much in terms of the appearance of your chin.  The lateral view picture you have provided shows limited shadowing under your jawline.  Liposuction could potential improve the angle of the neck and provide stronger jawline definition.  I hope you consider a formal consultation to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Jawline Contouring with VASER, ThermiRF, ultrasound, Kybella

I find that VASER liposuction in combination with ThermiRF or ultrasound are best for contouring the chin in those who are candidates but Kybella can be used as an alternative with or without thermage/ultherapy/exilis. See an expert. Best. Dr. Emer

Will I benefit from lipo under my jaw/chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is very weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Liposuction alone of the small amount (same for fat dissolving injections or external skin treatments) will do very little to change the weak chin projection and therefore the overall appearance of the weak chin.

Hope this helps.

Kybella

You would benefit from removal of submental fat to help define you neckline.  Suggest looking into Kybella or CoolMini CoolSculpting as alternatives to traditional liposuction

John Burns, MD