How dangerous are BBL's? Has it ever resulted in death?

Hi I am getting a bbl in a couple of months and starting to get nervous, how dangerous are bbl's and has it ever resulted in death, what is the likely hood? What do you recommend to calm my nerves?

Having recently attended the ASAPS panel and courses on BBL in San Diego (April, 2017), it was reported that BBL is actually one of the riskier elective operations being performed, with death rates of one in several thousands.

This is low overall, and even lower in skilled and well-trained hands, but still much higher risk than breast augmentation or facelift, for example.

But since this question was asked 6 months prior to my answer, you are likely all calm by now. How do you like your results? Did you have good long-term fat survival? I hope you chose your surgeon well!

For others still considering this operation, you should google BBL deaths and you will find several notable examples. In ABPS-certified plastic surgeons' hands, you are usually quite safe. But everything in life carries some risk. So choose wisely and minimize risks all the ways possible. Best regards! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

How dangerous is a BBL?

I understand that you are nervous about a BBL simply because you've never had one. It you are otherwise in excellent health then this should be a safe procedure. To illustrate this point, you're probably not nervous when you drive a car yet are not worried about the possibility of crashing. That is because it is not a new experience and the likelihood is very low.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... Actually every surgical procedure has it's own risks and complications. One of the most complications that can happen after this procedure is the fat rejection, some patients reject the fat that is injected, which turns into an infection most of the times. You have to treat it immediately with antibiotics. 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD