BA with 2 small children - recovery?

I am hoping to have a BA next year. At that point my children will be 2 & 4. How long will it be before I can pick my 2 year old up?

BA with 2 small children - recovery?

There should be no problem at all when it comes to the surgery itself, but your concern should be during the recovery period after the operation. You will be advised to avoid lifting after your surgery, which means you will not be able to carry your children and you will not be able to do house chores for the next six months or so. you should consider having someone to help you with your household activities before undergoing the operation.

London Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast augmentation

Great question. I typically have patients avoid strenuous activity or heavy lifting for at least 3 weeks. At that point I would start light exercise such as walking, hiking or other cardio. For my moms, sometimes not lifting their young children can be the toughest part of their recovery. Prepare as much as possible before your surgery for things like meal prep, help with cleaning, driving the kids to activities, etc. If you have family or friends that could help with the kids for a few days that would be great!!

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Post operative healing after #breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery

HI Missy, Thank you for your excellent question and you're good to get a head start on having your questions answered and considering care for your children and household post operatively. Another consideration would be which type of anesthesia will you have? In my clinic we offer two different kinds, one is general anesthesia, the other is called local mac or "rapid recovery" which is not available with all board certified plastic surgeons. Since we are also a teaching facility for two distinguished plastic surgery programs we offer many different options and spend a lot of time educating our patients throughout the entire process.  Since I am on the conservative side I prefer my patients wait at least 4--6 weeks before any heavy lifting after a breast augmentation surgery. We also require our patients to wear a surgical compression garment and perform 3-D imaging and an implant "try on" session.  Consider meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon who's also a member of the ASPS and ASAPS.  I hope this is helpful and wish you all the best in your journey.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation, Have Young Children

You will definitely want some help after surgery with the littles! That being said, some types of implants afford a quicker recovery, such as the "gummy bear" implant. The texture and the anatomic shape require a tighter pocket to be made during surgery. You are typically limited in your arm movements for 1-2 weeks, then can expect to return to full activity without restrictions. Discomfort may limit your activity at that point, so it will still be best to have help. Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon if the "gummy bear" is an option for you. Best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

BA with 2 small children - recovery?

First of all, you need to be examined by a Board Certified PS because some patients after pregnancies also have sagging of the breasts in addition to loss of breast volume. If you only need breast augmentation most patients may return to non-strenuous work after just a few days. I would not suggest that you lift your children for at least 2 weeks. If you also need abreast lift, depending on the type of lifting needed, most patients can return after 1 week.

George Lefkovits, MD

BA with 2 small children - recovery?

Thank you for the question.  Every patient has a different experience after breast augmentation surgery.   For example, some patients are comfortable lifting their two-year-old four days after surgery;  some are able to do so one week after surgery.

In my practice, I ask patients to have as much help as possible during the first week after breast augmentation surgery. Then, I ask them to gradually and cautiously increase their activity level,  listening to their bodies as they do so.

Returning to Full Activity After Surgery

Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

Activity following breast augmentation

Activity following a breast augmentation varies from individual to individual. Certainly everybody should be cautious within the first couple of weeks.  I would limit activity that uses your arms and chest muscles during this time.    However beyond this I like to gauge activity depending on the position of the implants.  If the implants are placed beneath the muscle it is very common for those implants to stay high for several weeks until they drop into their appropriate pocket.   If you start  activities that cause contraction of the chest muscles while the implants are not in this pocket then the implants can remain high  for a longer period time.  Occasionally  surgery is necessary to release the capsule that forms if they stay high for several months.  I would say that most implants have dropped into the appropriate pocket by three months. Keep in mind I have had some patients that have remained in the appropriate pocket from the first postoperative day.  Everybody's different.

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

For my patients, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery.  Please discuss with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Answer varies from patient to patient

if you child is 2 years old, you should be able to manage by day 3. you will not want to be carrying them around for long periods of time. however, you can trick kids ie you get on the floor and play with them. you use your knee to help them climb on things etc. you have to listen to your body - to know what is comfortable. remember though it is hard to actually do any harm, other than being sore, if you carry them for a bit longer than is ideal.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon