Recently got anatomical implants, after 3 months can I wear a push up bra?

I have been told by my surgeon that I must wear my post surgery bra for 3 months. After that time when I can wear a normal bra I was wandering if I can wear a push up bra or if it has to be a non padded one?

Bra choices after surgery

Thank you for your question. My patients will have a surgical bra that I place at the time of surgery. They normally wear this for the first week or two and then transition to a sports bra that opens in the front. By six weeks, if their implants have sufficiently descended, I let my patients know they can start wearing a normal bra (including a push-up bra). They may still undergo some changes which can change their bra preferences a few months later.

I appreciate your question.
I allow my patients to.  However, best to check with your surgeon and see what he/she recommends for you at this point.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Although your surgeon is going to be the best person to answer this since he or she knows your case intimately, you should be able to wear whatever type of bra that you'd like after 3 months. So, go to town at your local lingerie shop and enjoy your new breasts.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Bra choices

Plastic surgeons are all over the board on this question. There does'nt seem to be much science to go by. I tell my patients that once the capsule is sufficiently mature, a bra can not change the position of the breast implant permanently. I believe that the capsule is mature at 6 weeks. I let my patients wear whatever bra they want at that time. I would stick with what your PS says but ask for the rationale behind it. It may be voodoo but he or she believes in it and that is important to follow. Good luck 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Post aug bra

After three months you should be able to wear any bra or no bra. You are all healed, and will not change after three months (unless you gain or lose a lot of weight, or get pregnant).

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Pushup bra

Thank you for your question. You'd want to check w/ your surgeon, but I do not see a problem wearing any bra at this point that gives you comfort, support, and the look you desire. Make sure it does not irritate your skin/scar. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The question regarding the use of bras is surprisingly common on this website; there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.

For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Wearing a bra after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

My patients wear no bras, no straps, no ace wraps, nothing for the first 30 days. After that, if they are settled then go for the bra. Some will need a bit more time to settle. Once your breast implants have settled into a natural position, wearing any type of bra you like is fine. That includes an underwire.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Push up bra after 3 months?

After 3 months, you can certainly indulge in push up bras, by this time the implants would have settled sufficiently however, do check with your surgeon.  Happy bra shopping!