Is the area above my belly button normal? (Photo)

I had a fleur de lis abdominoplasty with muscle repair 3 weeks ago following large weight loss. I'm delighted with the results, just wondering if the area above my belly button is regular swelling or could it be a seroma? It is slightly hard to the touch which makes me think I might just have some scar tissue underneath the skin. Do you think it will go away over time? My follow up appointment is in 4 weeks.

3 Weeks Post-Op, Area Above Belly Button

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen . It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you determine you are concerned or worried about your healing process it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that all is progressing well. Good luck.

Go and see your surgeon

It could be a seroma, it is a little early for it to be hard scar tissue, but the inflammation in the scar can be hard as well.

I'd definitely go back and ask your surgeon

all the best

Barbara

Is the area above my belly button normal?

You might need scar revision for the puckering of the skin at the incision edge. 

Ron Hazani, MD

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon