Still in agony 3 days post breast augmentation op. Is this normal?

I've just a had breast implant half under the muscle. I'm still in major discomfort. Getting in an out of bed, although has got very slightly easier, is still agony. My left breast hurts a lot more than my right. Sometimes when I make the smallest movement I find myself in a lot of pain in my left breast, they are sharp shooting pains through the muscle and It feels like it's also in my back. I know pain is obviously expected, but naturally I am worried and would like to know if this is normal?

Severe pain 3d postop

Hello, there is a wide range in the pain experienced by different patients after surgery.  However, in most cases it is tolerable.  I if is agonizing I would recommend the surgeon be notified.  They can not only ensure that the person is healing normally, but also possibly prescribe additional pain medications.

Pain expectation following breast augmentation

At 3 days postoperatively, you are still very early in the process and discomfort would be expected.  All patients recover at different rates.  Some factors which may increase postoperative pain include large volume augmentation, placement under the muscle, and any additional dissection needed (such as with fold manipulation).  Your pain may also be asymmetric as may your healing progress.  What you are describing sounds normal to me but by all means report your concerns to your surgeon who knows you and your surgery best.  Good luck!

Pain three days after breast augmentation

Everybody has a different pain threshold and recovers from surgery at their own rate.  Many patients report mild discomfort and other describe similar pain and discomfort that you are experiencing.  Typically pain and swelling is at is maximum on days three to five so you should expect to feel an improvement over the coming days.  If your pain persists or increases then you should alert your plastic surgeon and arrange a review.

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your plastic surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Post Op Pain

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about pain management because they will be able to help you. Everyone experiences pain differentlyt. Your Plastic Surgeon may want to see you depending on what you describe or reevaluate your pain medication.

All the best

Pain after breast enlargement

Even if most patients find the pain from breast augmentation quite bearable, different patients have different pain thresholds, and somebody, like you, occasionally has problems dealing with postoperative pain. I would suggest to get back in touch with your surgeon to adjust your pain killers prescription, and to make sure there is nothing wrong in your recovery that is causing more pain than usual.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Still in pain

Different patients have different reactions and perceptions of pain after breast augmentation. What you're describing I've heard lots of times in the past. It does get better with time. Ask your plastic surgeon if they might add a muscle relaxer if you're not already on one. Hope you get better soon and congratulations on your surgery. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Uncomfortable still after breast augmentation?

Hello Jenna. Your symptoms seem to me fairly normal and for some people it can be quite painful when moving around and using the pectoralis muscles. I do suggest you seek guidance from your PS about alternative pain control meds. Additionally, since we cannot examine you online, a postop exam by your doctor will reassure all is right. Best wishes always, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Pain after BA

I'm sorry to hear you are having such discomfort. Yes, it's normal to have quite a bit of pain in the beginning, but it slowly gets better over a few days. If you are still miserable, you need to be seen by your surgeon. Perhaps a different set of medications would work better for you. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon