After having lip fillers - are my lips uneven due to the filler or swelling? (Photo)

I had lip fillers on Thursday night so less than 48 hours ago. My bottom lip seems in proportion but my top lip looks slightly uneven and when I smile it has a slight droop on either side.I can feel two tiny lumps under my top lip that I can feel with my tongue. Unsure if this is filler - as i've tried to massage it out or whether it's just some natural bumps that you have in your lips that are swollen. Could my top lip be uneven because of swelling (although I think most of this has gone down)?

Uneven lips

In looking at your pictures it is likely swelling.  I do see some residual bruising on the right so that will definitely contribute to swelling.  I would wait a while longer as I think it will reduce.

Uneven lips after injection

Hello! Thanks for sharing your concern. I do agree that there is some uneveness on your top lip from the photos posted. I do see more of a volume effect on the right upper lip compared to the left side. Nonetheless, with only 48 hours of evolution after your injection there is definitely some residual edema playing a factor on symmetry. Furthermore, I see an area of hematoma that very well can occur on lip enhancement or augmetation procedures that can create this difference in volume effect. I would give it at least a week, even two,  for all to resolve. Achieving symmetry on lip injection may very well need a retouch specially if the start up point is a thin, devoluminized lip. Lumps on the inside can happen if the lip injection was done two posterior into the oral mucosa. It should ameliorate with time or can be reduced with hyaluronidase without changing the volume effect. The material used is very important. Considering all the above, surely, these points pertain to a hyaluronic acid filler.

Carlos R. Pou, MD, FACS
San Juan Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon