After fat transfer breast augmentation can weight loss/gain lead to irregular breast changes? What irregularities could occur?

If a woman had fat transfer breast augmentation then lost or gained around 10lbs after the procedure (like a year later or directly after), would there likely be any irregular consequences/changes to the breast area or would the changes be limited to normal increase/decrease of breast volume? I'm wondering about this because there are differences in the type of fat located in breasts and other areas of the body, so perhaps fat from the donor site may behave differently leading to irregularities.

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question

I perform a natural breast augmentation with fat. This can be removed from any unwanted areas including the breast itself as part of my lipo-lift procedure. I perform the fat grafting in multiple planes including under the muscle to give the best, most natural enhancement. Fat grafting is a great solution for someone who wants to bring their breast size up a cup or so and use natural tissue vs an implant. However, it can also be combined with an implant or used as a secondary procedure to fill in areas that are flat or thin. It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms, cancer risk or breast feeding. It can be a little lump or hard at first but tends to soften over time. If you gain or lose weight, the transferred fat can do the same.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Fat transfer for breast augmentation

Dear Arissa,

One of the benefits of fat grafting is that once the fat has taken, then it behaves like your normal fat.  Not only in the look and feel, but also in the way it responds to weight fluctuations.  This can be helpful as it can keep your body in proportion but I always tell patients to try to get to an ideal body weight before having surgery and then aim to keep stable around that weight.  

The problem with weight fluctuations after surgery is that it can be unpredictable the extent to which the different areas of fat respond to weight changes.  Some times it all comes off the breasts, and sometimes none of it comes off the breasts and it all comes off some other area.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon