Just want some advice or opinion on my 7 weeks post op wound? (Photos)

mummy makeover 7 weeks ago. i am thrilled with my results but i had a wound separation at around 3 weeks, now larger.My surgeon has contacted me regularly and advised. finally the blood supply to it looks better. He said i can have corrective surgery soon.I had a course of antibiotics which finished a week ago. I was using urgo clean which desloughed the area but there was a lot of leakage to cope with. i have aquacel dressing now. My scars are so neat, no regrets.Flat tummy :-) Advice?

Woud Separation 3 Week Post-Op

Healing after the procedure will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  No lifting or straining.  At three weeks increased level of activity and full , no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

From looking at your photos I would recommend visiting your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure whether it needs to be re-stitched or if there are any additional problems that need to be handled. Good luck!

Open wound after breast reduction

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction

• I agree with your surgeon - your wound now looks very healthy.
  • You are in good hands - let your surgeon make the decision -
  • The wound is healthy enough to finish healing by itself but corrective surgery can shorten the healing time.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Negative Pressure Therapy Vac

The evolution of the scar itself is fine, but it takes 7 weeks with the conventional treatment that is being done, it requires approximately 3 to 4 weeks more to proceed to direct closure of it and I think the closure process should have accelerated using modern methods of preparation for infected wounds. My advise is to use the Negative Pressure Therapy Vac (look in Google and read about this). If you had used this procedure since the beginning, the wound would be suitable for closing in 2 to 3 weeks maximum. Good luck.

Kenneth Schimensky, MD

Just want some advice or opinion on my 7 weeks post op wound?

Unfortunate situation, but it can occur. The wound looks clean. At some point- your Doctor may be able to close this vertical incision. It's good that he contacts you regularly. Follow the Surgeon's instructions and you should end up satisfied.

Breast reduction and wound...

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing.  These types of complications can be quite distressing to patients;  unfortunately, sometimes the wounds do look worse before they begin to look better.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be in your best interests; sometimes removal of a exposed suture and/or removal of any unhealthy tissue will expedite healing.  Sometimes, for larger wounds than yours, the use of a " vacuum assisted device" (VAC) may be very helpful.  

Wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing ( in my practice I use a non-stick dressing covered by a sterile dressing). You should have peace of mind that these types of wound healing problems generally go on to heal over the course of the next several weeks, often without long-term sequelae.  Sometimes (depending on the width of the open wound and the appearance of the scar in the longer term), scar revision surgery may be helpful down the line.  

Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source.  Best to "occupy your mind" yourself with activities that you enjoy; wound healing can be slow and potentially frustrating to patients.  Best wishes.

Wound care

Continue to follow the advice of your surgeon.  These wounds take time to heal, but they usually do very well.  Care for the wound changes as it goes through the varying stages.  Your doctor will advise you on the proper way to treat it as you heal.

Camille Cash, MD