I am looking for some advice on what I should do about my chest: have surgery or just try and lose more weight? (Photo)

Hello, I am 21 years old, 6ft 2 and seem to believe that I have a severe type of gyno due to weight loss. I would be grateful if someone assist me on some advice what my next steps should be to sort this out. Maybe continue to lose weight? I am 21 years old, I am 6ft 1.

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon can recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Thank you for the question and photos and we have many patients in our practice just like you who have had surgery though obviously it is best to be at your ideal weight prior to surgery.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Gynecomastia repair

You are a great candidate for gynecomastia repair. Please see examples below to get an idea of what is possible for your.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Candidate for Male Breast Reduction

From your photos, you seem to be a candidate for gynecomastia removal surgery or male breast reduction. Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed.

You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary. I have attached a link to help you with your decision!

Chest sculpting

It appears from your photos that you have moderate gynecomasta. Although a physical exam is required to make any formal recommendations, you would likely benefit from liposuction breast reduction surgery.  In addition, it appears you have loose skin.  I would likely suggest a skin reduction and nipple lift with a periareolar lift/areolar reduction. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options. Best wishes,
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Gynecomastia options

Congrats on your weight loss. Your muscles look great. I think that ultimately you will need surgery to look the best. BUT, because of the amount of loose skin you have your surgery will result in some visible scars. Without an exam it is hard to seay for sure but I think you would get the best result with a nipple graft technique. 

I am looking for some advice on what I should do about my chest: have surgery or just try and lose more weight?

I have found that gynecomastia, if persistent, is often best treated with partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area. For patients with excess skin (such as yourself), common after weight loss, skin excision may also be necessary.

Being at your long term, stable weight will allow for a better, longer lasting result.  When you achieve a long-term stable weight and there are no “causative agents” involved, surgery may be indicated to treat your gynecomastia.

I hope this, and the link below dedicated to gynecomastia surgery, helps.

It's always best to finish a planned weightloss and get to your ideal weight before considering surgery. Being at your ideal weight allows your surgeon to better plan your procedure and also minimizes the risk of recurrence of loose skin if you lose more weight after surgery. Hope that helps!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Get the ideal  weight always is a good option, but in your case the correct way to resolve your problem is surgery. Good luck and am at your command.

Dr. Manuel Marte.

Manuel Marte, MD

Surgical Correction of Gynecomastia

It is very normal to encounter excess skin and breast tissue after loosing weight. Looking at your photos, seems as though you would be a perfect candid for a bilateral surgical correction of Gynecomastia. This procedure is fairly short and simply. The Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would go into surgery and remove excess breast tissue. Sometimes, skin may or may not be removed. If skin is not removed, there are some lasers that can help tighten any excess skin. Liposuction to the lateral breast fat may also be performed to improve the contour. Before moving forward with surgery, I would recommend getting as close to your desired weight so you can achieve the best results. In order to properly recommend a procedure, you should request a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Peter H. Grossman, MD, FACS