I would like some advice on breast implants (I am transgender, does that make any difference?)

Hello I am a young transgender (male to female) woman looking to have a breast enlargement done and Iam looking to achieve a very natural and full look without looking fake. I have spoken to a surgeon and he recommended that I use mentor implants. Iam currently an A cup and would like to achieve a C cup after the operation (and the swelling had fully gone down). Could you please advise me on if you think I should have tear drop or round implants used? Looking forward to your response Many thanks Farrah.

Breast augmentation

I would recommend that you schedule several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area so they can perform a physical examination and take measurements. This way you can have multiple opinions of the best implant type/sizes for your body. There are 3D simulators that can show you what you would look like with different types of implants and different sizes, this can be helpful when trying to decide what size would achieve your cosmetic goals. At my office, I use high profile Sientra implants to create a round full result that looks natural, giving you the result that you want. Additionally, i use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. Best of luck!
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation in a transgender woman. #breast augmentation #transgender

Thank you for your question!  Having lectured at a number of transgender conferences across America over the past 10 years, I have been asked this question many times.  Typically, the main difference between performing breast augmentation on a transgender woman vs a cis woman is the relative size of the implants.  Transgender woman typically have a broader chest and shoulder girdle.  As a result, the relative size of the selected implants will be larger.  The actually operation is very similar.  At my office in the Bay Area of Northern California, I would image your chest with our three deminisional camera and choose the implant type and size taking into account your wishes.  This has been an invaluable tool in the consultation process. 

It would be very difficult to know what to suggest for you unless we had photos to assess.  That being said, shaped implants typically provide a more natural appearance and I prefer especially in someone who doesn't have much breast tissue.  It provides augmentation and shape to your chest.  If you already have sigificant breast tissue, then a round implant may work.  Please work with a board certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon.