Am I a candidate for FUE hair transplant? (photo)

I am nearly 25 years old. I have always had a high broad forehead which has always bothered me but it has become distressing. I feel it doesn't frame my face and makes hairstyling difficult as I also have fine hair. There is some receding at the temples and line. My forehead is about 9cm in left and also curves. Please help.

Likely a Candidate; preventative measures strongly encouraged

Unless you have a scalp disorder, or an inflammatory condition in the donor area of your scalp, you are very likely to be a candidate for an FUE procedure.  You state that you have a congenitally high forehead, which does not indicate hair loss pe se, but you also mention that you have receding at the temples and frontal hairline.  This does indicate male pattern balding, and your pictures are typical of this type of hair loss.  Certainly, an FUE procedure could move hair to the areas of need for you, but this does nothing to halt the underlying process: progressive, hormone-based male pattern balding.  You have inherited a genetic sensitivity to the withering effects of a hormone called dihydrotestosterone, and over time this will cause more and more follicles to undergo a process called "miniaturization"....the hair shaft diameters become narrow, revealing the underlying scalp.  

It is imperative, due to your young age, and you take action to slow the rate of hair loss, if you are considering a hair restoration procedure.  Methods for doing such include, 

a) medications: such as Propecia or Rogaine

b) low level light laser therapy (LLLT): several devices on the market, including the Capillus Laser Cap.  Recent studies in peer-reviewed journals indicate 80%+ of patients who use LLLT experience a dramatic slowing or halting of their rate of hair loss, and 50%+ of patients report increase hair shaft diameters and hair follicle density.

c) cellular therapy: plateley rich plasma with ACell procedures have been shown to slow the rate of hair loss, and in some cases, appear to regrow hair by revitalizing the thinning hair

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Class 3 balding pattern in 25 year old with fine hair

Yes, this can work, but  fine hair may take 2 hair transplant sessions to get a full look, while a person with heavier weight hair works better with less grafts. This will take you about 2500 grafts in the first session and hopefully that will be enougn, but another hair transplant might be needed for more fullness. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Am I a candidate for FUE hair transplant?

Greetings. To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question and photo. From the looks of the pictures, you are a very good candidate for FUE hair restoration. The quality of your hair also looks very soft, which in-return should give you a soft hairline. Hope this helps. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Why FUE What are your goals?

I was an engineer working with Dr. Rassman in 1998 (before I became a doctor) . My work involved a concept of a robot which would use a special optical sighting system to align the hairs for an automated FUE. This work became U.S. Patent 6572625 that we licensed to the ARTAS robot. Similar technology from our U.S. Patents are used in the NeoGraft. My point is that I am very familiar with the FUE, ARTAS, NeoGraft, and all forms of harvesting hair follicles. I perform FUE in my practice with my hybrid FUE instruments, ARTAS, or even NeoGraft.Many doctors push FUE or Neograft or ARTAS claiming "no scar" or "minimally invasive".
Many doctors dissuade patients from strip surgery asking "why would you want a big scar".

The focus should be on RESULTS. Not how a doctor takes out the grafts.
In terms of graft quality between FUE (ARTAS, Neograft) versus Strip, the Strip harvested grafts are generally better (which means better results). The exceptions are the doctors with unskilled staff, then the ARTAS grafts will be better.

From a donor scarring perspective, YOUR HAIR IS LONG.  If you are ever going to shave your head or cut your hair really short, you should probably get the FUE. That is it. If a "line scar" scares you, then get the FUE.

Just remember a 4000 graft FUE scar is like having a collective open wound hole the size of a baseball on the back of the head. There is nothing minimally invasive about that. I also perform Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) and fix horrible FUE scars routinely. These is nothing "scarless" about FUE. I have performed surgery on Dr. Rassman and his family members using the strip technique. The linear scar on Dr. Rassman is a pencil thin line you probably will have a hard time finding. The point is, a strip surgery scar is not as terrible as the Internet makes it out to be.

The focus should be on Results.
A bad hair transplant result from FUE or Strip is like Herpes. You'll carry it with you for life.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

New hair

25 is young for hair transplant for most people but it sounds like you have always had a high hairline.  Thus, it's probably fair to consider adding hair now without the risk of seeing a rapid loss as would be the case of someone who was balding rapidly in early adulthood. hairs can be transplanted from the back of the head to lower the hairline.  I prefer FUE using NeoGraft to avoid linear scars created by strip method.  While it is impossible to say exactly how many grafts you will need, for this type of case it likely won't be less than 1,000 since we are adding hairs to an area of zero density (area absent of hair).

Tim Neavin, MD

Being wise

At your young age, the key is to have conservative treatments to prevent the progression of loss.  I would guess that if you could have your current hairline when you are 45 years old, you would be satisfied.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

FUE

Whatever method is used for the donor hair is not the most important issue.The real question is are you a candidate for lowering the hairline on your forehead? The method for harvesting the hair has nothing to do with this. One has to be very careful in lowering a hairline in a young male. Remember the hair that is placed is permanent. If your original hair recedes, then you will end up with an unsightly gap.

Jack Fisher, MD

Yes

You are a candidate for FUE.  It can restore some fullness to your hairline and fill in the temple area as well.  You should know that without any therapy the hair loss will continue over your lifetime.  The transplanted hairs will not fall out so you may be left with islands of hair.  This can be overcome to some degree by using Minox and Finesteride.  In all likelihood you would need another transplant down the line. Make an appointment with a board certfied Plastic Surgeon.  Good luck!

Adam Saad, MD
Atlantic City Plastic Surgeon