6 years post op breast augmentation - Fluid build up has developed around implant?

Hi. I am 6 years post op from breast augmentation all has been fine until 1 week ago were my implant feels like there is fluid building up? Is this something that can happen, why does it occur and will it go away what can I do to help it?

Sudden Swelling

Unfortunately it wouldn't be possible to give you meaningful assessment and advice about this online- you should be seen in person, either by your Plastic Surgeon or another board certified Plastic Surgeon. All the best

Late Seroma

This fluid buildup we call a seroma needs to be investigated by a plastic surgeon immediately. Ultrasonic guided aspiration and testing of the fluid for very specific type of lymphoma needs to be done. Removal of the implant and capsule with placement of a new implant is usually curative. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Late Seroma After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. This needs to be investigated by a plastic surgeon. I would likely start by having you get an ultrasound test. If fluid is present, the radiologist may be able to remove it with a needle while watching it under the ultrasound image to the implant is kept safe. That fluid should be tested. From there, your surgeon can guide you on what to do next. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Fluid around implant

When fluid develops many years after breast augmentation, an careful examination by an experienced plastic surgeon is important. The fluid can be aspirated using an ultrasound to guide the needle into the fluid space. The fluid and entire capsule may need removal and biopsy.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Fluid around your implant years after surgery.

Greetings,     Fluid building around your implant warrants a return to your plastic surgeon for an evaluation and diagnostic testing as indicated,        Without an examination and consultation, it is difficult to speculate about the cause or course of this swelling.       Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Changes 6 years post op

This is a question that is best answered after an examination.  Contact your physician for an appointment.  Tests such as a mammogram or ultrasound may need to be performed in order to determine the cause of your symptoms.

Camille Cash, MD