Is 295cc HP Dual plane silicone BA perfect for me, for a natural look or should I request for a moderate profile? (Photos)

I'm about to have my BA in 3 1/2 weeks. My PS suggested 295cc HP, dual plane. I'm looking for as a natural look. I've had two kids. I'm 5ft2, petite Asian and 47 kilos. And trying to decided between High profile or moderate.

Moderate profile will be less round but will also be smaller

Hello lilpill,

As other surgeons have said on here, the dimensions of the implant are important so that they suit your frame.  A high profile implant will have more fullness and look more round than a moderate profile implant and so you should look at some before and after photographs to see what sort of look that the implants can produce.  Also, for a given base width, a moderate profile implant will be smaller than a high profile implant, so if you went to a moderate, then you may have to accept a slightly smaller volume.

If you are not sure, then I would recommend that you go back to your surgeon and go over these things before surgery because it is an important decision and one that you need to be comfortable with.

Good luck.

Profile of implant - choices, choices

Thank you for this

I think you are probably asking the wrong question here though - what volume are you looking for please?

The most important thing is to make sure you have the right size in terms of volume (cc). For a given breast width and volume, an implant will have a certain projection (in cm). Each manufacturer will then arbitrarily put certain groups of implants into one of 3 or 4 categories (designated profiles). Unfortunately these profile categories vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. These were originally designated low, medium and high. Some now call them moderate, moderate plus and high. Some call it medium, high and extra high - confusing for everyone!

So in summary please concentrate on the volume options with your plastic surgeon for your given breast width - they will be able to advise. In view of your wishes and desired goals I suspect that the profile down would be slightly better (i.e. moderate, medium or operate plus depending on the make) for you but please have this conversation with your chosen surgeon

Hope this makes sense!

Good luck!

Paul Banwell (London)

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Is 295cc HP Dual plane silicone BA perfect for me, for a natural look or should I request for a moderate profile?

Thank you for your question.  In my experience the moderate profile plus breast implant looks more natural and the high profile implant.  Of course your plastic surgeon is the best person to give you advice.  To learn more about breast implant profile please read below:

You probably don't want high profile!

for a natural result, don't use high profile. There is an in between option -- moderate plus. That is usually a great option for women after children. It gives you umph in the upper pole without being overwhelming. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.

There are several steps taken to select a specific size/profile breast implant for a specific patient.  The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. As you know, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.  

In regards to specific breast implant size/profile, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

***Given your concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

The right implant for you

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want and not overly focus on a specific cup size or implant size.  The choice of high profile or moderate profile can be better determined after going through this process.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.