Is 225-250cc too small for my tall/athletic frame?

I recently had a consultation with a PS who suggested I go for 225-250cc mod+ Smooth round implants. I am 173cm (5'8) and 126lbs with a slim/athletic build but have quite a bony chest and very little breast tissue, 32 AA Or A. I want to achieve a natural non augmented look, a full B - small C but no bigger. In previous consultations I was given the option of 320cc anatomicals so i can't understand why there is such a difference in size recommendations from different surgeons?

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Thank you for the question.  As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise advice online.  Having said that, in my practice I have found that taller patients DO end up with larger breast implants (that seem to fit their frames better than smaller breast implants would),  when it comes to achieving a proportionate look.

In my opinion, there is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved. In other words, I do not think that the generalizations of "150 cc or 200 cc equates to 1 cup" hold any validity or is helpful in any specific way. There are simply too many variables such as a specific patient's dimensions and the variability in bra manufacturer's cup sizes… 

The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “full B, small C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Breast implant sizing

Hi and thanks for the photos and question.  It is really not possible to give meaningful advice on sizing without a face to face consultation and measuring your actual breasts, chest wall and soft tissue envelope.  The volume of implant recommended seems reasonable for the size you are looking for.  The shape of the implant  will affect the shape and projection of your breasts, however the amount of sag, width and projection in the final result does not just depend on the implant choice but on the amount, elasticity and dimensions of your own body.  Generally if you are an AA-A cup, an anatomical implant will produce the most natural shape, however with conservative sizing using round implants in a sub muscular position, very natural results can still be achieved. Which choice is made is often a mater of preference, cost and experience of the surgeon and therefore advice may differ between individuals, particularly if they are making a decision based on cost, since anatomical implant are over twice the price of smooth round implants.

If your surgeon is a fully qualified, Specialist Plastic Surgeon (Board Certified Plastic Surgeon), they should have measured you and assessed the best implants to deliver what you are looking for from Breast enlargement surgery. I hope that helps. Best of Luck.

Dr Mark Hanikeri MBBS, FRACS

Perth Specialist Plastic Surgeon

Is 225cc too small

It is clearly not easy to answer this question directly without seeing you in person, but I also think it is very easy to become overly focussed on size when shape and dimensions are much more important in achieving an attractive outcome. I have found 3-D imaging to have proved extremely useful in this regard and I would suggest you are best to seek a consultation with a reputable surgeon in your area who can offer this service. I am sure this will help you make an informed decision.

Confusion about implant sizes

Hello there.  One of the problems with breast implant surgery is that there is a focus on the size of the implants, but this is only one aspect.  The shape and the profile are crucial elements so you need to consider all of the dimensions of the implant.  You sound like you are very informed and I can understand how easy it is to get confused when you see different surgeons.I have done a webinar that goes through some of the issues involved in implant sizing, you can register below.  I use sizers in the clinic to get an idea about volume and then we look at photos of patients with different shapes and profiles of implant to try to get an idea about the best implant for you.  If you are getting conflicting information, then I suggest that you see a few surgeons and see if you can get any common themes or if some of the information resonates with you.  It is important to choose the right surgeon as they will help you through these issues because you will find that there is often no right or wrong.  That is why I have written a book on how to choose the right surgeon.  Good luck.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD