20 weeks post labiaplasty, mostly healed. (Photo)

I'm happy with my surgery, there are just a couple of issues. The left side is mainly healed completely, it just has a small line where I hope this will smooth out given more time??? The right side however isn't quite as good as the left. I had a pretty big haematoma post surgery and there is now a notch type appearance which I'm not sure whether I will have to revised or not. If I have a slight revision, will it take as long to heal as the initial surgery?

Post-Op Labiaplasty Healing

Hello and thank you for your question. I am happy for you that your surgery went well, and you definitely have every right to make sure that the healing process is completing perfectly. Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months and firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. So, I don't think you have anything to worry about with a little notch you have noticed here, and you should be able to give it some more time. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well.Remember that this is a sensitive surgical area and revisions are very hard to make. So, be sure to provide plenty of time for the healing process to compete. Best wishes to you!

Labia revision

I reviewed your photos. You had a wedge labiaplasty with separation of the right suture line.  However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. As the inventor of the wedge labiaplasty, I have done thousands of labiaplasties.  The reconstruction can be much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. A very SKILLED plastic surgeon in wedge labiaplasties can repair it. Your recovery will be easier.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

"...Should I have a Revision? Will it take long to heal..?"

The "notch" you reference can be repaired with either a "mini-re-wedge" or perhaps a "punch biopsy" excision and suturing. The risk, however, is that the revision will open and you'll have an even larger hiatus. You may elect to "...leave well enough alone." While you will really need to "chill" during the first 2 weeks, overall your recovery will be significantly less/easier than the original surgery, but you really need your potential "revision surgeon" to give you his/her take on that...

Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Fine tuning revisions are reasonable after labiaplasty

Fine tuning your results with a small revision is reasonable. The recovery is quicker than a full labiaplasty. Six months from the original surgeon is sufficient time for scheduling.

It appears you had a wedge type labiaplasty and these can result in some asymmetry. The result actually looks very good but at 20 weeks, it probably is what it is. These concerns is why I developed and prefer my modified posterior wedge technique better, or what I call the True Labiaplasty. See link below.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

20 weeks post labiaplasty, mostly healed.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your labiaplasty results.  If your left sided "line" is along your incision this should continue to flatten, thin, and soften given enough time.  You can try scar massage techniques to help and assist the area's appearance and feel.  As for your right sided notch, this can be corrected with a small in-office procedure and would not take as long to heal as your initial surgery, you would need to be careful for the first few weeks.  Talk to your surgeon to ensure your tissues are free of swelling and have returned to a normal elasticity so that a revision procedure can safely and predictably be performed.  Hope this helps.