At 18, can I have a hair transplant?

I'm 18 years old, I have never had hair on the left side of my head just above my temple and would like to have this filled in. I have ask begun to thin slightly at the front. On my mother side of the family both my uncle and grandfather receded to a Norwood 5. If i can have a transplant now and the fill in the areas that will possibly recede later could this be a viable option?

In general you need to see a doctor for a consultation to make sure you would be a candidate for surgery.

In general you need to see a doctor for a consultation to make sure you would be a candidate for surgery.  In general doctors usually discourage hair transplant surgery to 18 year old men since surgery may cause shock hair loss. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Triangular Alopecia, Missing Hair Since Birth?

Triangular alopecia is a condition in which hair is absent in an area since birth. I have operated on a number of individuals with it and had good results.  You may be a candidate if that is what you have.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Never had hair on the left side of my head

This is an unusual comment and I would have to examine you to see what you are talking about. At the least send photos

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant at 18

Hello. Given your age and family history of hair loss I feel it is inappropriate to have a hair transplant at this stage. I would recommend medical treatments to curb further hair loss and try and keep the hair loss stable. After initiation of medical treatment we would review you yearly to perfectly gauge the best time to perform a transplant. A hair transplant is a step that take a lot of consideration and planning.

Young

You are a little young and you do not know what will happen with your hair loss.  The ideal situation is to wait a few more years and consult with some doctors in person. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist