I'm 15, I've had cigarettes and cannabis in last 24 hours and I am scheduled for gynecomastia removal on NHS

Hi I'm 15 and a male , I've had cigarettes and cannabis in last 24 hours and I'm scheduled for a gynocamstia surgery in next 24 hours tomorrow morning and I'm scared they will not let me have surgery unless I've had weed will they let me ? Thx

Nicotine and Cannabis Use Prior to Surgery

This is a good question to ask your plastic surgeon. The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia As you may know, several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational #drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 

Therefore, weight gain, steroid use, recreational drug use and #hormonal conditions following your surgery can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of your previous surgical removal and treatments. It's important to implement healthy lifestyle choices to not only prolong your surgical results, but most importantly, to reduce your risk of illness and disease which will impact your health.

Smoking and Gynecomastia Surgery

You need to let your surgeon know about the smoking, it can be very detrimental to your healing and cause complications. Be very honest, and see what he/she has to say. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia United Kingdom GB

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD