10 days post op and that's how the scars are looking like. (photos)

Is that normal? I am a bit worried as they're very dark and especially the left side is a bit scary. Please can you share your thoughts or experience. Thanks

10 days postop

Greetings. Thank you for the question. The puckering appearance is probably from the sutures.  This should improve as the sutures dissolve over time.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon and follow your postop instructions. Best wishes.

10 days post op and that's how the scars are looking like.

You are still very early in the healing process and you may want to consider waiting for your body to heal. This seems to be from your sutures and the scar will improve as the sutures dissolve.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Post op healing

I know that it is frustrating (and scary) to not have your final results immediately, but you are still very early in your recovery. It can take up a year for a scar to fully resolve.  Follow your surgeons post op instructions to the letter, but for now, the best thing is to be patient and kind to yourself as your body heals. Hope this helps -

Dr. Sean Doherty

Sean T. Doherty, MD, FACS

Scarring after Breast Augmentation

Good Morning and thank you for your question and pictures. I understand your concern, however I encourage you to wait as the scars are going to improve with time. You could also discuss  this with your board certified plastic surgeon to consider massaging scars or silicone sheets. 

Rafael Gottenger, MD

10 days post op breast augmentation and that's how the scars are looking like.

Your scars look OK. The puckering will pull out as implants drop. Ask your surgeon when you may start massage and Scarguard application. With time they will look better, you are very early

Incision after augmentation

Thank you for your question and photos. From what I can see you have some puckering and unevenness of the incision line, but otherwise looks normal.  This will significantly improve with time.  Best to discuss scar massage and scar treatment with your surgeon.  In our practice, I recommend silicone gel or silicone sheeting.  Good luck.  

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Sioux City Plastic Surgeon

Concerns over Inframammary scars

Your concerns are understandable. However, please be assured that this is a normal result that appears in many women.

The scar of the left breast may be puckering along the incisions as it was closed using dissolvable sutures, and as this dissolves over a few weeks, the skin will be puckered. Please relate to your surgeon for a more detailed answer if this is the case.

Now, it is very important that you follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions and advice as we all have differences in opinion and management of scars.

Please understand that scars will fully mature both outside and inside in about 1-2 years as part of the normal healing process. Fully matured refers to a flat, non-red scar. They will still be visible though.

Initially, the scar would become raised, red due to inflammation and blood collection, and then slowly start to recover. Sometimes it can become hyper-pigmented within 6-8 weeks, if abraded. The build-up of collagen helps in formation and healing of scars – and around 6-8 weeks, scars become more noticeable and thick. As time progresses, collagen is placed along lines of tension, and the re-arrangement of collagen beneath the scars makes the scars smaller and fine. If we only consider the visible scar, and not the portion beneath the skin, then scars would seem matured in anywhere from 6-18 months.

There are multiple treatment options to deal with scars that are thick, red, raised, and hypertrophic. If this not the case with your scars, then these treatments may not help.

Current literature recommends using silicone gel sheeting or paper tape starting on the second week after wounding, combined with other treatments, including intralesional corticosteroid injections (e.g., kenalog injections).

The latter (i.e., kenalog injections) can improve scar pliability, diminish its volume and height and reduce scar-related itching and pain.

Some surgeons may refer you to laser treatments using pulsed dye laser to reduce redness and improve texture of the scars.

Please consult with your plastic surgeon to know if there are any concerns with your scars. Their advice takes precedence as they have more knowledge of your medical and surgical history.

Hope this helps

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scars?

Thank you for your question and providing photos. I believe your incisions will heal just fine. I tell all my patients it takes a year for scars to fully mature. The worst time for scars is the first 2-3 months. I hope this helps.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation scars

I tell my patients it takes 12-18 months fro the scars to mature and settle. 10 days post-op, your scars look as they should. Relax, and enjoy the great results you will see from your surgery. 

Mo Akhavani, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation scars

It can take several weeks for your scares to fade and flatten after your procedure. Your scars actually look relatively normal and should improve considerably as the weeks go by.

Hope this helps - Sam Jejurikar, MD

Sam Jejurikar, MD