1 month 1 week post. Doctor used ear cartilage to lengthen my tip but it's not what I asked, can I get my old tip back? (Photo)

I know its too soon to judge results but wanted to know:

I liked my cutesy round nose, I only wanted it SLIGHTLY refined/less fleshy but the doctor has given me a really long point tip, that she's added ear cartilage to? Pardon my ignorance but can they simply take out the ear cartilage or is it a more complex fix than simply removing the ear cartilage? My nose is VERY long and I do not like it . Is this easy to reverse to my original nose if I dont like it after swelling subsides?
Updated on September 8, 2015

Tip work

It's a bit too early to do any refining.  From the photos, it appears that your tip has dropped a bit in addition to being more projected.  Both of these can be addressed -  hopefully your septal cartilage was not touched, but even if yes, the tip can be resupported into its original position the tip deprojected as well assuming this is desired.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Tip post-Op evolution and healing

Dear Zena,

There still is significant swelling. Inflammation acts differently at every zone of your nose and that is why normally we could see some asymmetrical zones, and also swelling is an issue in rhinoplasty, because till 1 year the nose still shrinks. I would recommend talking to your doctor and letting him evaluate you and explain the type of surgery he did and how is the recovery going. He can also compare with you with the PreOp photos and share his knowledge about the healing process of the nose. This will make you understand the process of healing of your nose. Don’t worry, tip nose is made of cartilage and subcutaneous areas and that is why it takes times to reach its final aspect.

Best Regards,

Dr. Nabil Fakih

Nabil Fakih, MD
Lebanon Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling one month after rhinoplasty

Thank your for the questions and the bride and after photos.  The amount of swelling that is currently present one week after rhinoplasty may be the factor that is resulting in the extra nose length that you do not desire.  It's hard to know if that will be the case when all of the swelling subsides so it will be best at this time to wait until the swelling has subsided.  At that time, a revision can be performed if needed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Can Rhinoplasty be Reversed?

Take a deep breath and try to relax.  It has been only 5 weeks since your surgery and it is way too early to judge the outcome. You need at least several more months to allow the surgical swelling to subside and to permit your skin to adapt to the new framework. A millimeter of change can make a huge difference in your perception of the overall size and length of your nose. You also need more time to familiarize yourself with your new appearance.

The good news is that rhinoplasty is not an all or nothing procedure. It is possible not only to remove the ear graft, but to modify the size, width, shape, projection and inclination of the graft to find the perfect balance. Be patient, don't panic and keep an open line of communication with your doctor. Best wishes.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

At 5 weeks post op it is too soon to make any assessments of your final results.  While this may be frustrating, waiting a full 6 months is necessary to allow swelling and healing to progress.  Any revision at this stage would be a mistake.

John Burns, MD