I got lip injections but I think they look the same? (photos)

I just got lip injections and its been 3 days and it looks the same to me. My lower lip on the right is still swollen though. I assume it will be smaller within another couple of days. I wanted a fuller but still natural look. Do you think I should say something? and do you think they would do it for free again? if it wasn't the results I wanted?

Lip Augmenation

You should wait 2 weeks for the swelling to go down. If you do not see the results you want. You should see a board certified dermatologist.

I got lip injections but I think they look the same?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your upper lip is small compared to your lower. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be further augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Lip filler

Hello, thank you for your question. I would advise waiting for 1-2 weeks until the swelling has subsided before making any decisions. Your lips are already very voluminous and so I would not advise having more filler injected. Whilst the lips are still swollen, I can definitely see a difference. The bottom lip is now much fuller and the cupid's bow has more refinement.

Lip Filler Follow Up

Thank you for sharing your question. Based on your photos, it appears that your lips are still swollen, which can take 1-2 weeks to fully settle. You can continue to ice the treated areas on/off over the next few days to help the swelling come down. When it comes to lip injections, it is important to add filler conservatively to avoid the unnatural, overfilled look. I recommend following up with your injector 2-3 weeks after the initial treatment to discuss your results. At that time, more filler can be added at your injector’s recommendation. Best of luck with your treatments.

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Lip filler

Thank you for question. Keep in mind 1 syringe of lip filler is 1ml.  1ml is 1/5th of a teaspoon. While you do appear to have an increase in volume, many patients need more than 1 syringe to get the results that they want.  I would recommend following up with your injector after 2 weeks.  It is unlikely that your next syringe of filler would be free.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Fuller lips

Dear shth1234:

I do see a difference, especially in the lower lip, but it may not be enough for your satisfaction. When augmenting lips, I do believe it is better to avoid downtime when possible. So having filler treatments in several sessions, adding some more filler in about a week to add to what has already been accomplished, may actually be the best approach for you in the long run. There is nothing worse, in my opinion, than walking around with fat lips for two weeks, when the lips can be augmented more slowly without downtime. Also, I n this way you don't pay for unneeded filler or have to have hyaluronidase to remove excess filler.

All the best,   Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Thank you for your question. It is best to wait a full 2 weeks after getting lip fillers before judging final results. If at that point you feel you would like more volume, you should go back and consult with your provider about adding more filler. Regarding price, that is something I can not speak on and something you would have to discuss directly with your provider. Best of luck!

Neil Sadick, MD

Lip Augmentation with Fillers Such As Restylane/Silk, Juvederm Ultra/Voluma, or Fat -- How Much Filler To Lips For Results?

You may need more filler to get the outcome you like.  Please see an expert, but wait 7-14 days before doing so.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Augmentation Expectations

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  It is difficult to comment without knowing which filler your received and the amount injected.  I would suggest that you allow 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling to fully resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation to review your before and after photographs, to fully discuss your concerns, and to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Though I can see the difference in the size of both your upper and lower lips, without knowing what filler was used and how much was injected it is difficult to answer your questions.  If you like your current appearance but want more volume you may need additional filler.  In this case you would need to pay for the additional material.  Hope this helps.