Is my Uneven Nostril After Accident Fixable?

I suffered an accident just over a year ago that left my right nostril scarred. After a couple months I started to notice a bit of indentation and it eventually warped my nostril giving it the 'sharp' unnatural look it has now.

It's made me self-conscious and I've decided I want it fixed. Is it possible to remove the dent and give my nostril its original shape?

Doctor Answers 3

Fixing uneven nostril due to trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very difficult to fix a scar on the external portion of the nose creating an indention.  Techniques that may fix this include cartilage grafting such as an alar batten graft and an alar rim graft.  Composite grafts can also be performed from the ear to bring the nostril rim downward.  An onlay graft in that area of the nose can also help.  All of these incisions are made inside of the nostril and so nothing will show from the outside.  

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Nostril Scarring after accident

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It may not be possible to achieve the identical look that you had before the accident but grafts may be able to increase the size and improve your breathing if that is affected.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It may be possible to improve the current look but this single view photo does not allow complete assessment. You can never go back to the look or exact shape you had before the injury and no surgery exists that can achieve that goal.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.