Can something can be done to correct my uneven eyelids? (photo)

The right one droops, the eyelid skin sags over the lash line. The crease for both of my eyes appear that they should be the same. I have been to a doctor but was satisfied with results. I was tested for myasthenia gravis and appear not to have the condition. In the photo my left eye is enlarged, with a double crease. My left eye is not normally like that but recently its been so recently causing my problem left eye to seem saggier than normal.

Doctor Answers 5

Eyelid Asymmetry Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have asymmetry of the eyelid folds. You would benefit by a small amount of right upper eyelid skin excision along the line of a double fold surgery as opposed to a traditional wide excisional upper blepharoplasty.

Droopy and uneven eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There is asymmetry of the eyelids do to excess skin of the right upper lid. A simple skin excision under local anesthesia  is all that required to make the right eyelid look like the left eyelid.  For many examples, please see the link below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Asymmetry of Upper Eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It does indeed appear that there is asymmetry of your upper eyelids.  From the photo, it appears that there is excessive right upper eyelid skin creating some of the asymmetry that you are concerned with.  This may simply require skin excision.  This is a local procedure that is performed in less than 15 minutes. 

 I agree that a thorough assessment would be recommended to evaluate other anatomy and better evaluate the complete situation.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 128 reviews

Your problem is not just a skin issue.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You basically have an asymmetric double fold.  There is too much fold on the right side but there is also right brow ptosis and it appears, right upper eyelid ptosis.  A detailed consultation is needed to assess the eyelid status and develop the best possible plan for the eyelid.  I think it is likely that you only need surgery on the right side.  The dilemma you have is that you need a double fold expert.  Offering blepharoplasty does not mean that the surgeon understands how to get your surgery done.  Do your home work and recognize that you may need to travel to get this done correctly.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelid asymmetry may just be a skin issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photograph. Although there appears to be a slight difference in your eyes with respect to size, what appears to be the biggest difference is the excess fold of skin on the right obliterating the double crease on that side. Although an evaluation would be necessary, it may be possible to significantly improve your symmetry by removing the excess skin on the right. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon or ophthalmologist with is experienced with cosmetic eyelid surgery.

                                                  James McMahan, M.D., Columbus Plastic Surgeon

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.