Uneven Breasts 3-Months After Surgery?

I asked for 350cc to lift and shape breasts after 3 kids. My doctor suggested @ L375cc and R425cc (to even out and add shape). I agreed. During surgery on April 30, 2013, he inserted L425cc and R520cc. I was shocked when I woke up from surgery but I agreed to his suggestion to give it time for them to "drop." It's now July 31, 2013 and during my 3-month post-op follow-up I noted my concern about the uneven look and feel. He seemed unconcerned and has not offered to fix them. What do I do?

Surgical plan should be precise before the operation is undertaken.

There is not enough information to comment on your specific case. It's concerning that the types of implants to be placed generated confusion. You need to sit down with your plastic surgeon to sort out your options.

Uneven Breast 3 Months After Surgery #breastimplants

This one is difficult because first, we have no photographs to comment on and two, as surgeons we are always making decisions in the operating room with our patients best interest in mind. I always tell my patients that we may place an implant size beneath the breast and it may or may not give the look that we have discussed in the consultation. I make sure that patients choose a range of sizes so that I have the latitude to do what I was trained to do, make the best informed decision for my patients. It is very possible and likely that your surgeon felt the bigger implants were best for you. Now, every patient is not perfectly even. Especially if you started out un-even you should expect to have some degree of asymmetry after surgery. Whether or not you feel the surgeon delivered the correct size at the end of the day your surgeon is looking out for you. A revision may not be in order this early. I would ride this out and give it 6 months or so. Confront your surgeon with you concerns once again. None of us want our patients to be unhappy. It is the worst thing I could ever think of from my patients and I would do whatever possible within reason to make my patient happy. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Uneven Breasts 3-Months After Surgery?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast surgery. Best to communicate your concerns with your plastic surgeon in a calm and constructive fashion. Understanding, of course, that absolute breast symmetry is readily achievable, your plastic surgeon may have suggestions as to how to improve your symmetry once you have communicated your concerns and goals.

On the other hand, if the breast asymmetry is mild, your plastic surgeon may suggest that you avoid additional surgery.  Ultimately, you will need to weigh the degree of asymmetry versus the potential risks associated with additional surgery, prior to making any decisions whether or not to proceed with additional surgery.

If you  remain dissatisfied or unsure after communicating with your plastic surgeon, second opinion consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area may be indicated/helpful.

Problems correcting breast shape asymmetry after a breast augmentation

The goal when trying to correct asymmetric breasts is to make them more even but absolute symmetry is not possible  A breast augmentation gives you a bigger version of yourself.  If you started with asymmetries such as:

1. Differences in breast volume
  2. Differences in breast shape
  3. Differences in the level of the inframammary crease
  4. Differences in the shape of the ribs
  5. Width or abnormalities of the sternum
  6. Differences in skin elasticity from side to side

There are certain asymmetries that can be corrected others can not.  It may take at least 3 - 6 months for breasts shape to even out.  When you operate on two breasts they often heal like they are on two different people.  If after 6 months your breast shape has not improved and symmetry improved then a revision surgery may be indicated.  It is very important to note that your plastic surgeon is in the best position to understand each patients unique anatomy and to determine what and when a revision should be contemplated. 

Uneven Breasts 3-Months After Surgery?

First off, we need before and after photos in order to make any assessment.  It sounds like left breast was bigger to begin with since he put a bigger implant on the right.  However, you did not mention how they are uneven post op.  You also didn't mention his reason for going bigger than the size you had agreed upon.  You need to discuss your concerns with your PS and come up with a solution.  a second opinion might be helpful.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Concern regarding uneven breasts

It is difficult to make any comments without proper photos and more importantly a physical exam.  Furthermore, it would be helpful to view your before photos to know where you started as you likely had some degree of breast volume asymmetry.  Give it an addition 3 more months to allow your swelling to resolve and continue following up with your PS.   Keep in mind with silicone gel implants, because they come prefixed in volumes, there are some limitations of what can be achieved to correct asymmetries.  In other words, we can't get identical twins, but very very close sisters is what we strive for...  Best wishes, Dr. Basu Houston, TX

Breast asymmetry

Thanks for your inquiry, but without any pictures it is hard to comment on your result.  I would give six months time to allow the implants to fully settle and then rediscuss any revision surgery.

Uneven Breasts After Breast Augmentation

It is difficult to comment without photos.  Obviously you were uneven prior to surgery as your doctor suggested two different implant sizes and you agreed with that plan.  I do not determine a definite size until I am in the OR as I know that it can be difficult to accurately predict breast appearance until an implant is actually inserted.  As you evaluate your result you also must be sure your uneven appearance is due to the volume difference and not a positional difference.  Obviously if you and your surgeon disagree on your observations then you might want to seek another opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breasts 3-Months After Surgery?

Photos (before and after surgery) and some idea of the reasoning for the change of plans would be helpful in offering specific advice. Please consider posting your question with that additional info. 

If your surgeon is unconcerned and you disagree with his assessment, getting a second in person opinion is going to be your next option. 

All the best.