Will my Asymmetric Breasts from Breast Implants Even out Eventually?

I recently had silicone breast implants about 7 weeks ago. I have the left breast which is fuller more side cleavage and the nipple is higher than on the right side its not as full and the nipple is much lower.

The right breast had problem closing the incision which was in the nipple. Will it even out? I also have rippling underneath the right breast but only when I bend forward. Thanks!

Will asymmetric breast implants even out? Seven weeks post op.

Thank you for the photos. You are still very early in your post operative course. Breast implants tend to start dropping into place after 3 to 4 weeks. They usually will get to their final position in 6 to 12 months. One will usually drop faster than the other, and the shape may go through changes. Please follow your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions. For example; we like message, but some surgeons will have you wait, or do it in a specific manner.   Please also let them know your thoughts and concerns.

Breast and symmetric healing after augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. During the post-operative period the breast are swollen, and the breast implants appear in a much higher position. Over time they descend and fills out the lower half of the breast. In addition, it is not uncommon for one breast to be more swollen than the other and may even out with time (unless they were asymmetric in size to begin with). It may take several months for this to happen and can be encouraged with breast massage and compression. It may appear that the breast enlarges as the lower aspect of the breast fills out (at the expense of the upper portion of the breast).

Thank you for the question. The breast asymmetry that you are referring is commonly experienced, early in the postoperative period, after breast augmentation surgery. Often, breast implants “settle” at different rates. Of course, online consultants will not be able to  reassure you adequately;  your plastic surgeon, after in person examination will be your best resource for advice and/or reassurance.   Ultimately, I think that only time will tell whether the breast symmetry will improve over the course of the first several months after the procedure was performed.

Of course, generally speaking, patient should be aware that absolute symmetry of the breasts is rarely present before or after surgery;  hopefully, the degree of breast asymmetry that you experience in the long-term will  not be bothersome.  My patients have to tolerate me saying:  “sisters, not twins” or "breasts are like snowflakes, each one pretty, but different” during each visit.

For precise answers to questions regarding returning to exercise, you may wish to request an earlier than  already scheduled follow-up with your plastic surgeon.Best wishes. 

Many causes of asymmetry after breast augmentation

Post-operative asymmetry is dependent on many things, most importantly, the presence and nature of asymmetry pre-op. It is most common and natural to have some asymmetry of the breasts, and this can be related to size, dimension, chest wall (i.e.ribs and muscle), degree and location of laxity or sagging, position of nipple relative to breast and relative to your chest, presence of scoliosis, etc.

It is also very common for breast implants to sit asymmetrically once implanted by the very nature of the anatomical dissection and the unknown and uncontrollable factors of tissue relaxation, capsular contractures, and gravity Some asymmetries can be improved, some will be worsened, and some will require trade-off (for example, making breast mounds symmetric in size and location at the price of asymmetry in nipple position.

The reason why you have asymmetry can only be determined by examining you pre-operatively to see what you began with. That will help a discerning surgeon to determne why you are asymmetric now and whether this will improve with time and/or require surgical correction or require you to accept imperfections in your result.

If you had a fuller but tigher left breast and a more saggy loose right breast, that might explain your relative roundness and fullness on the left and your rippling on the right with the lower nipple position. In any case, it would pay to wait until the tissue accommodate the implant possibly 3-6 months before contemplating any revision. I suppect that you will always have to fight some asymmetry.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Assymetrical Breasts Following Augmentation

It requires approximately 2 to 3 months following your surgery, but up to one year to see the end result of the final shape and size of your breasts.
The two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural.
Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of your doctor or the nursing staff.

Asymmetric breasts from implants

Hi and thank you for your question.
It can take between 3 and 6 months for the breasts to heal, drop and settle into positon, this can happen at different rates. Continue to follow all instructions and contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns. Best of luck!

Will my asymmetric breasts eventually even out?

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking, breast symmetry is rarely present before surgery and rarely present after surgery.  The goal for patients who present with marked breast asymmetry pre-operatively is to gain slightly more symmetry afterwards, but patients should be aware that the expectation of absolute asymmetry is unrealistic.  Since you are early on in the immediate post-operative period the breast asymmetry that you are experiencing is quite common.  Breast implants do have the tendency to settle at different rates and sometimes this is due to handedness, pre-operative breast size and/or the size of the implant placed.  I would recommend that you follow up with your operating surgeon to discuss your concerns and what your expectations should be moving forward.  Your operating surgeon is always your best resource and each surgeon has their own technique and pre- and post-operative regimens.  I hope you find this helpful and best of luck!

Uneven Breast Implants

It is quite common for the two breasts to heal differently. One may swell more, one may feel more uncomfortable, or the shapes may differ initially. After complete healing, they should look more similar and natural. Patience is required, but if you are concerned, ask questions to your doctor or the nursing staff.

#breastrevision #breastimplants

Wait 3-4 months before assessing results

Please wait about 3-4 months for your breasts to settle before assessing your results, as they may adopt a more natural contour as you recover. Settling can occur faster in one breast than the other, which sounds like what you're experiencing.

Unfortunately, rippling may not improve with time. 

Asymmetry Following Breast Augmentation

Your breast asymmetry appears to be related to an abnormality of the underlying chest wall. Your picture suggests differences in shoulder height, hip position and rotation of the chest. These findings suggest the possibility of scoliosis. In this situation, perfect symmetry may not be possible and further surgery may not be the solution to your problem.

It’s not unusual for patients to note some asymmetry following breast augmentation surgery. This asymmetry occurs for a variety of reasons. In some cases, it’s transient, resulting from muscle spasm and swelling. Asymmetry under these circumstances tends to resolve with time. In other cases, it may be related to implant malposition, in which case correction might involve revisional surgery.

In some cases, it may be due to baseline asymmetry of the breast or underlying chest wall. When asymmetry is related to the breast tissue, correction can usually be accomplished with various maneuvers designed to adjust breast volume.

Unfortunately, when asymmetry is related to the chest wall, the asymmetry may be improved, but in most cases it’s not totally corrected. Under these circumstances, surgical procedures are often performed to disguise the underlying deformity.