Can an Underbite/deficient Upper Jaw Be Corrected in an Adult Without Surgery?

I had 2 upper premolars pulled as a child, and all wisdom teeth at 22. I now have a very narrow upper jaw which is 3mm behind my upper. I have problems breathing and chewing. I have heard that i cannot widen my upper jaw without surgery, nor can it be lengthened/ moved forward without surgical assistance. Is this true? Can my jaw (and not just teeth) be expanded and brought forward without surgery??

Doctor Answers 1

Orthognathic Surgery to Correct Narrow Upper Jaw and Protruding Lower jaw

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are past your early 20's then orthognathic jaw surgery is probably your only answer to your case.  Trying to widen your palate with an aplliance will only flare your teeth out and not move the bone unfortunately,  It sounds as if you would require a multi-piece Lefort Maxillary osteotomy and possibly a  Mandibular (lower jaw) osteotomy, but without photos or models it is impossible for me to determine.  Seek the Advice of a Board certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for a consultation.  I hope this helps you

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.