Umbilical Hernia and Other Complications? (photo)

I'm a 31 y/o female with a life long umbilical hernia that is about the size of half a golf ball,no matter what size meal I eat my stomach swells up right after, and i always end up looking pregnant. I have constant constipation mixed with diarrhea, with abdominal pain, is this the cause? Should I have surgery and if so which kind of doctor would best perform this and is it covered by insurance?

Doctor Answers 3

Umbilical Hernia and Other Complications?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Symptomatic umbilicisal hernias are a health insurance covered benefit, in MOST plans. Best to see either a GI doc or General surgeon for evaluation and work up. 

Umbilical Hernia and Other Complications

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should begin by seeing your primary physician, who may suggest a referral to a gastroenterologist or to a surgeon. An umbilical hernia alone would not typically explain the symptoms you are having. The hernia repair would be a covered procedure.

Best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should be evaluated by a general surgeon and possibly a gastroenterologist before considering any cosmetic surgery

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.