I'm 26 now and had a breast augmentation 7 years ago. Now considering removal

within 20 days of d first surgery, there was some leakage in d right breast silicon implant & it was immediately removed..Beyond 6 months, a new implant was placed to match up both breasts as the sizes of my breasts looked different...Is it safe to remove both implants now ? Will my original size n shape be back ? Size of implants : 230cc Period held : 7 years My height 5" & body weight 57kg Nature of implants: Silicon Position : Underneath the chest incision Please advise

Thank you for the question.  Specific advice would necessitate in-person evaluation and a full communication of your goals and options.  

Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Patience is definitely indicated after removal of breast implants; it will take many months for the skin to “bounce back” and for you to see the final appearance of the breasts. 

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with revisionary breast surgery.  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast implant removal

The way your breasts will appear after surgery will be influenced by many factors.  Your skin elasticity, any pregnancies and/or breastfeeding, and weight gain/loss since surgery.  An examination would be necessary to give a more specific answer.

Camille Cash, MD